Sharing New 508 Compliance Tool for Storyline 360

Oct 31, 2023

Hello everyone. I have created a new Accessibility menu for Storyline 360 to give some much needed features. This is nearing completion and we hope to begin using it as an organization. What I have here is a tab for accessibility that lightboxes in a new menu.

Currently, this menu has four buttons. The first lets you download a transcript of the course. The next two buttons allows you to increase and decrease the Closed Caption text size. The final button opens up a lightbox with the Audio Descriptive Version of the video. There are triggers placed on each slide that create some of the variables the menu uses to function and then to determine if the Audio Description is needed. If it is not, it disables the button and hides it from screen readers and from view. This way the user doesn't see the button and wonder if they are missing out.

If you would like to test the menu here is a link to test it and attached is the source file if you would like to try and implement it yourself.
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/b2d0d7de-4020-4742-9d78-10c099437c5d/review

Two disclaimers currently: I do not own the video or audio content on the second slide. I borrowed a clip from star wars and the audio comes from the Audio Description Project. Both are credited and there is a link to the Audio Description Project in resources. 

Secondly, there is one issue with the accessibility menu I am working to try and solve. I am not strong in coding and I can't seem to get my overflow to work on my menu. So when I resize my screen, my buttons get pushed off screen. I've tried forcing the overflow and it just doesn't implement. I don't know if I'm making a mistake, or if its some weird overwrite that Storyline does. I've had other instances of that in the past.

5 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi Perry!

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community! I'm sure other users discovering this thread will find this very helpful!

It sounds like you meant to attach a sample file, but I didn't see it included with your post. If you wanted to try again, you can use the 'Add Attachment' button located beneath the dialog box.

add_attachment

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Perry Cox

Hello. Sorry for the late reply Jacey! So, this was an oversight on my part. The original images were on our server and are inaccessible off network. I'm uploading a new version of the menu with the images hosted off network easier access.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/3c4507f5-c327-4450-a8a9-46d7e9286824/review

This new menu also comes with some changes. We removed the transcript button. We decided it was redundant as we use the resources tab and a lot of our users who look for the transcript are not looking for it for accessibility reasons. We also added two new buttons. We now have one that converts all text on the screen to black on white for extreme contrast and a button to invert the colors on the page. 

We had some users that had issues with using a screen reader that didn't play nice with Storyline and wouldn't invert the colors to give them the contrast they needed to be able to see. Now we have it built into our Storyline file so that it is possible without the additional software.