Forum Discussion

NikkiLowin-3dc2
Community Member
11 months ago

Data Entry

Hi. I'm interested in having a user enter a specific name such as "Sam" (using Data Entry if that is appropriate) and that would trigger a layer to display (and not have to click a button). Is it possible?

Appreciate any guidance.

• You can do this with the user selecting enter or tab.  Is that what you are asking?  There needs to be some event to cause Storyline to notice the value has changed.

• Ron, thank you for your support. I would really like the user to type into a data entry object then have the layer advance on its own. I am trying to replicate an action in a program of a search field that auto populates a list in a drop down menu. See attached.

I'm starting to conclude that a data entry object requires licking some button or hitting Enter to execute the display of a layer or slide.

EricSantos
      Staff

Hello, Nikki! I'm also happy to share some insights into this. While a Search field that auto-populates a list in a drop-down menu can be a handy tool in some Storyline projects; I don't see a built-in way of doing this except by jQuery.

Given that this can be a useful tool for searching, I will not be surprised if other community members have already implemented it in their projects. I hope someone knowledgeable with jQuery can chime in with their input!