Forum Discussion

KendraMinor-9c4
Community Member
3 years ago

Rise and Mathematical symbols/characters

I am trying to create an OER Rise course as an interactive textbook for a calculus course. Unfortunately, many of the equations cannot be placed in Rise, as Rise doesn't seem to support any alphanumeric symbols or characters beyond things like superscript and subscript. This means I have to screen capture and import them as images.

HOWEVER, this is a huge accessibility no-no, as screen readers cannot read images. And of course, I cannot use alt text because I still cannot use the special symbols and characters. Is there a way to insert mathematical symbols and characters into Rise?

• Hi folks! Thanks for letting us know you need support for mathematical equations in Rise. This isn't available at the moment, but we're tracking requests for this feature. We'll share it here in this thread if this feature becomes available!

• We have the same problem when creating maths courses. We also have to screenshot most complex equations. Depending on the symbol, you can use character map/some maths unicode works.

EeeKursused
    Community Member

Hello. How is now? Have you thought about math text to rise? I would really love that (Latex or something :) ).

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi E Kursused!

Thanks for checking in on this!

I don't have any updates to share at this time as our development team has been prioritizing other features. I've included your voice in the feature report being tracked so you can be notified as soon as we have news to share.

Have a great start to your week!

• I would dearly love to be able to put math symbols in my courses (latex would be great)  

you probably just need to include MathJax or something similar.

It has been two years since the first request.....

EeeKursused
    Community Member

Same here. Copying symbols can do some but equations are needed badly.