Forum Discussion

SamHill
Super Hero
11 days ago

Scenario Block Image Compression

I'm on a very fast internet connection, but noticed when testing a clients Rise360 course that there was a flicker when new character images loaded.

As an experiment I created a scenario in a Rise course and published it, just so I could check the image output for the characters.

I gathered all of the character assets into a single folder, and it is 12.4mb for 12 characters. Just over 1mb each.

This seems really large for a PNG asset, even with transparency.

I experimented running the images through TinyPNG, just one pass, and the output reduced the size to a total of 2.91mb. An average of 0.24mb, which is 1/4 of the original size, without any visible loss in quality.

I think this is significant to look at, as we would expect the assets that are bundled with courses to be optimised for our users. This should be JS, CSS and any other assets in the course so that it is as quick as possible to download, especially for mobile.

If anybody is interested in seeing the difference, I am including the before and after images as an attachment on this post.

Edit: Attachments don't appear to be working for posts. Files available via DB link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5rrxuj7vf937zntw71h17/Scenario-Images.zip?rlkey=j1y8xtwdn8nnnzukk6pyk3kfo&dl=0

• Hello SamHill! Thank you for sharing your experience with characters loading in Scenario blocks! I will share this with our team. I also wanted to follow up on the fact that the images weren't attached to this post. You should be able to add images one by one inline or as a file. If this isn't the case, please let me know! 

SamHill
      Super Hero

Hi LaurenConnelly Thanks for the response. I found that the attachments weren't working for me. They went through the upload process, all looked good, but whenever I posted, they were gone, hence the addition of the dropbox link at the bottom of the post. I've successfully managed to attach a Storyline file to a post today, so maybe it was a temporary gremlin.

LaurenConnelly
        Staff

I appreciate the extra detail, SamHill! Hopefully, it was just a temporary glitch, but I'll definitely stay tuned to see if others notice similar. Thank you for your continued help in this new community!