Forum Discussion

JohnJohnson-6a8
Community Member
19 days ago

Trubble with Triggers! (and layers)

New to Storyline. Learning how to use Layers and Triggers. I have a simple intro with an animated graphic, intro text and start button. Start button is on a layer (not base layer) and I'd like it to appear at a designated timeline time. I have it now set to 5 sec, so that Start button appears after intro text. 

However, Start button 1) appears before intro text and 2) not at 5 seconds. Start button trigger is:

Show layer when timeline reached 0m 5s. Screenshot of the trigger:

Any clues as to where I should look to correct the behavior to be what I want?

Many thanks!

• Hi John. It's always best to include a copy of your .story file if possible. There are many interacting pieces to a Storyline project, and a description may not cover all the possibilities.  Based on your image, are you trying to trigger your Start Button layer from itself (the Show this layer part)? Perhaps disable that trigger and try triggering the Show layer {Start Button layer} from the base layer, where the intro text lives instead.

Alternatively, just put the start button on the same layer and timeline as the intro text. Then, drag the start button entry on the timeline to the right, so it begins at 5 seconds. That way it won't appear until that point. Note, there is an icon at the top right of the timeline area (left-most of the two) that toggles between showing all timeline objects, and only those active at the current time index, where the vertical blue line crosses the timeline. That can help you visualize what is visible at any given time.

• Hi John. It's always best to include a copy of your .story file if possible. There are many interacting pieces to a Storyline project, and a description may not cover all the possibilities.  Based on your image, are you trying to trigger your Start Button layer from itself (the Show this layer part)? Perhaps disable that trigger and try triggering the Show layer {Start Button layer} from the base layer, where the intro text lives instead.

Alternatively, just put the start button on the same layer and timeline as the intro text. Then, drag the start button entry on the timeline to the right, so it begins at 5 seconds. That way it won't appear until that point. Note, there is an icon at the top right of the timeline area (left-most of the two) that toggles between showing all timeline objects, and only those active at the current time index, where the vertical blue line crosses the timeline. That can help you visualize what is visible at any given time.

JohnJohnson-6a8
      Community Member

Thank you, Nathan;

Your suggestion worked and I thank you. I left a reply here about a week ago..seems to have disappeared. My bad!