Forum Discussion

BethRhodes-833b
Community Member
4 years ago

Upload a published SCORM to Rise 360 to edit

I have got a published scorm file from a customer, they dont have access to the rise account it was made on and they need me to edit it for them. How can I upload the scorm file into my rise account so that I can edit it? I have seen some instructions online but I cant find the manage tab element? 

Import Your Training into Rise
In Rise, select the Manage tab and then select Courses.
In the upper right, click the Import Course link.
On the window that displays, click Upload Course.
Select the SCORM package you exported in the previous step and, once the package is finished uploading, click Done.

Is this because I am still on my trial at the moment?

Any help appreciated.

KarlMuller
    Community Member

Hi,

A previously exported SCORM ZIP file cannot be brought back into Rise 360 as an editable Rise course.

ToyaCapers
      Community Member

Thanks for this. What options are there to edit a previous published Rise 360? We work with contractors that develop the courses and then have to share the source files with us. How can we edit the files they send us?

KarlMuller
        Community Member

Hi Toya, 

The exported SCORM ZIP file is not considered a source file as it is not editable.

The source is the original Rise course.

If the contractor that developed the course for your organization still has access to the original course, there is a Rise function that allows them to  send a copy to someone in your organization that has an active Articulate 360 subscription. 

gus
    Community Member

I'm sure there is some highly complex reason behind this, but for Rise to be able to package up content into a scorm file but then not be able to unpack this same content makes no sense to me. I was hoping this might address the absence of any content recovery option, but alas just another monumental disappointment.

SamHill
      Super Hero

This is quite normal for authoring tools that create and publish content.

I haven't come across an authoring tool that can open and edit the published output.

I think the main reason being for this is the extra content that would need to be bundled up in the published output, and there are valid reasons for wanting to distribute the published content and not allow people to then take that content and open and edit in an authoring tool. It offers some protection to the owner of the content.

Published content is produced in a format that is optimised for deployment, whether that is a Word document, Web or for an LMS.

The source file is in a format that is optimised for the authoring tool.

KarlMuller
        Community Member

As SamHill explained elsewhere in this thread "Published content is produced in a format that is optimised for deployment".

This means that the information that is required to make a Rise course editable, is stripped out and removed from the published version of the course. 

So technically it is not possible to "unpack" a SCORM file and revert it to its editable version, as the required information to do so simply does not exist in the SCORM/Web published file.

KarlMuller
      Community Member

Hi Melanie,

The link you provided above does not relate to the Rise 360 course authoring system.

As indicated in the URL, the link is referring to a related Articulate product https://rise.com/ 

I gets very confusing because Articulate uses "Rise" to refer to different combinations of their product offerings.

Rise.com combines the Articulate Rise LMS with the Rise course development system.

The above link provides instructions about how to upload a SCORM package into the Rise.com LMS course library for delivery to learners.

• Hi, I work for a company that has articulate licenses.  if a course was made by a former co-worker is it possible to access it somewhere?

KarlMuller
      Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

Do you know if the former co-worker is still assigned an organization Articulate 360 seat/license?

• How does the contractor do this?  ....

If the contractor that developed the course for your organization still has access to the original course, there is a Rise function that allows them to  send a copy to someone in your organization that has an active Articulate 360 subscription.