Rise - Collapsible Sections in Left Menu

Jun 11, 2018

Hi there,

I noticed today that my Rise courses now have the ability for the user to collapse the sections of the left menu. This is a great addition! Thanks!

Two questions...

1) Is it possible to have the menu launch with all of them collapsed rather than all open? I didn't see a way to do this. 

2) Any chance the same functionality will be available for the menu that is on the Overview page?

Thanks

116 Replies
ETSI Layout

Well as it stands when you have a course with many sections/lessons you may already have more than half the lessons out of view on launch, because ALL of the sections are expanded.  Having a section expand once you are in it is a nice touch and I would use that, as long as the main ask here (all sections closed on launch) is part of it.  (bonus if it could know to close once you are in a different section; might be too complicated, and user can close manually one at a time as they move thru if they want.)

Phil Foss

Progress! I'm actually going to do some design improvements- the font size of these section headings are so small I doubt they would pass any wcag or 308. On larger screens, there is no reason to keep the menu system this narrow and fonts so small. If anyone wants to kick tires on this let me know, it needs some user testing.

Before / After

supermenu for Rise 360

Phil Foss

Here is a link if anyone wants to help me test- especially if you have PC (I'm on a mac). The menu should be fully collapsed once you 'start course' yet if you ever return to the coverpage or close out the window, and then resume course, menu will then display your current section expanded and current lesson indicated (basically where you left off).

https://theme-360.com/rise/supermenu/area53-guide/index-menu-file.html

Jeannine Raymond

Hi Phil, this looks great! I'm working through it with some firewall fun, so not sure I'm getting the true end-user experience. When I leave the course, it resets all my progress - BUT the menu is beautifully collapsed. Not sure if my go-through is helpful. This is truly wonderful work and I'm really hopeful you'll be able to share your final file - we will be using this going forward. 

Jason Sutton

Hello, works great, when will this be available? Long time coming. Thanks.

HI KPHC Resources:

* If you have a Training Request, please submit a KPHC HI Training Team Request

* For KPHC questions, please call: KPHC Support Center at (808) 432-KPHC (5742)

Jason R. Sutton
Training Delivery Educator IV
Training Environment Lead
Instructional Design Lead

Cell: (808) 284-7972
Email: jason.r.sutton@kp.org
Kaiser Permanente

"Thank you Lord for caring about me, I'm alive and doing fine"

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. v.173.295 Thank you.

ETSI Layout

Yay, progress!  Were you trying to implement the "section will be open when you are in any lesson in that section" function discussed above? That is not working for me, and I find that if I'm going thru linearly using the Next Lesson buttons I feel sort of lost because all the sections are collapsed. Turns out that sections being collapsed unless being deliberately opened by clicking might not work for me; like, the opposite problem from before.  [It makes me feel difficult, which I don't want to be!  hah.]