I love the screen recording tool in Storyline 360 because you can use it to closely simulate real-life tasks inside of different systems and software applications. It’s actually a very robust feature with a lot of customization options and great capabilities—and, it’s super easy and intuitive to use! Let me take you through how to get started with it, and some cool ways to use it in your work.

Launching the Recorder

Like with most things in Storyline 360, there’s more than one way to start recording. One way is to insert a new slide and select Record Screen:

Another way is to select Record Screen from the slides tab:

It doesn’t matter which way you do it; it’s just your personal preference.

Setting the Recording Dimensions

When the recording tool launches, the first thing you should do is set the dimensions for your screen recording. You have two options:

1. Choose a pre-set dimension from the drop-down list.

2. Adjust the window size using the sizing handles.

Not sure what size you should use for recording? Check out this article for some tips on recording high-resolution screencasts.

Setting Recording Options

Next to the “recording size” drop-down menu, you’ll notice a little gear icon.

Click this to adjust settings like which microphone (for voiceover audio) and/or speaker (for system sound effects) you want to record.

In this window, you’ll also find another cool feature called “Move new windows into recording area.” If you’ll be switching between apps or windows during your recording, you’ll want to be sure to check this option.

Recording Your Process

Once you’ve specified your dimensions and your settings are good to go, you’re ready to start recording! Just click the red record button, wait for the countdown, and then go through the steps you want to record.

If you make a mistake and want to start over, click the garbage icon.

When you’re done, hit the escape key on your keyboard or click Done in the recording bar.

Additional Tips

Before I leave you, here are a few helpful tips that’ll help you create great screencasts:

• Do a test run. Even if you’re 100% certain everything works perfectly, test it anyway! I learned this the hard way after doing a whole one-hour recording only to realize when it was over that my microphone was muted the whole time. Recording and playing back a 5- to 10-second test clip can save you a lot of time and unnecessary frustration.
  • Keep the screen clean. Ideally, you want the application you’re recording to fit snugly within the recording area. It’s best not to see any desktop in the background or any other applications in your recording. So don’t forget to hide any bookmarks, toolbars, desktop pictures, and the start menu if you can.

I hope you found this Storyline 360 screen recorder tutorial useful! As with everything in life, practice makes perfect, so play around with the recorder—try it out and do a few sample recordings to get a feel for it.

Have any Storyline 360 recorder or general screencasting tips of your own? Feel free to share in the comments section below! And, of course, if you have any questions, be sure to leave those there as well.

Want to try something you learned here, but don’t have Storyline 360? Start a free 60-day trial of Articulate 360, and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning.

23 Comments
Regina Lehotay
Doug Dewan