Interaction ID Issue

Mar 17, 2022

I'm going to bring this question up again as all the related questions seem to be dated 5+ years ago...

I've received multiple requests to allow trainers to see the quiz questions that users get right and wrong.

What I have learned through many hours of reading posts, research and testing:
– Publishing to SCORM 1.2 only provides an automatically generated Interaction ID... that does not reflect the actual question.
– Editing the lms.js file was a workaround provided - unfortunately, I cannot find this mystery file in the published package; and even if I could, after opening other .js files there are not lines but rather a huge continuous paragraph of text (so clearly above my skillset)
– Publishing to SCORM 2004 v4 is supposed to also work; however, I have done this and the result is absolutely no data in the Question, Response, Right Answer, and Result columns at all.
– I know some have recommended using Rise; however, that is not an option.

I would really appreciate a solution to this as this has been a consistent request from those using our LMS for several years.

I'm using Storyline 360 and our LMS is Totara v13.
6 Replies
Sue Blake

Hi DeAnna

We also use Totara (version 12) and Articulate.  I attended a Totara webinar at the beginning of March called 'Reporting on SCORM activities in your Totara LMS'. 

Here is the link to the recording:  Reporting on SCORM activities in your Totara LMS  Towards the end Jordan did a demo of how you can see in Totara reporting individual learners' responses to the questions using variable data. 

It went a bit over my head but it might be worth you taking a look.  

Hope it is of use.

Regards

Sue

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi DeAnna, and Sue.

It sounds like this issue is specific to Totara. You can test this theory by uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you can see all the answers being reported. 

If it works in SCORM Cloud, the next step would be to reach out to Totara's support to receive their recommendation. 

If you still don't see the data during your test, please open a support case so we can investigate this further

David Manning

Hi Maria,

Storyline, and not the LMS, creates the Interaction ID. You can see this because the format reflects the scene, slide, and interaction type (e.g. Scene10_Slide4_FreeFormPickOne_0_0). 

The problem here is that when we run a report at the question level, and we see that 40% of users failed the question "Scene10_Slide4_FreeFormPickOne_0_0", we don't even know what learners are failing. However, if we  could rename the interaction ID to something like "Q1_Customer_Complaint_Handling", we would know exactly where learners are failing. 

Since this problem has persisted for 9+ years, I'm looking for your help to escalate this to the development team to resolve. Submitting support cases has not worked so far. We need a proper push from internal Articulate staff to close this big gap. 

I appreciate your help! 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, David.

Thank you for reaching out!

While changing the question name of a Freeform slide on the report is not a current feature of Storyline 360, you're welcome to submit a request to our team through this link

You mentioned that you hadn't had much success with support cases. I'm sorry about that! I'm happy to help, but I couldn't find a related case under your name. Do you mind sharing the case number so I can follow along?