Need Help...

Sep 29, 2013

Hello fellow Storyline Users!  I need help with a project I am working.

First, I have uploaded a small portion of my project I am working on.  The first few slides where I ask the user to fill in the blanks works well.  Only two problems:

1. If you are typing in your responses and hit "enter," it jumps to the next slide.  How do I stop this action?
  2. Depending on the users responses, the font will get very small on the results slide.  Is this due to the type of responses I am asking for, i.e. short answer vs. paragraph?

My next issue relates to the second scene.  There is a slide asking about what their thoughts are on the choice they have included.  I have include a series of rows for the user to click on the appropriate radio button for their choice.  For example, the four rows are Q  S  P  B, then their are check boxes, radio buttons below each letter, (QSPB).  I would like the user to check each row, and the choice selected remain in tact.  I have no idea how to figure this out.  Right now if you select Q for the first row's choice, then select S for row two, the Q in row one becomes unchecked.  I hope this makes since?

Although they can do this in their workbook, I wanted them to use their computer screen for the exercise.  

I would appreciate any help on these two issues.  Thanks!

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John, 

In regards to you QSPB question - could you set it up as a question using a Likert scale instead of your custom one with the radio buttons? You can change the scale of the Likert when you're editing it (you'll find the button at the bottom right hand corner). This would allow you to have multiple selections in each of the rows. 

The short answer question does have a limit of 256 characters, so if you're looking for longer answer than that, the essay question may suit you better. This screenr from Jeanette will help you ensure that the text doesn't shrink when entered into these Variable text boxes, the only concern I'd have on your slide is that all the text boxes will fit on one slide, so you'll want to test that. 

The enter key will always submit a text entry/quiz question, and I know other users who have requested the ability to disable it by submitting a feature request. 

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi John,

Looks like your question slipped through the cracks. Tx for pinging me. So,

Re 1.: If you are typing in your responses and hit "enter," it jumps to the next slide.  How do I stop this action?

I believe this has been asked before but there wasn't a way to stop it. Hopefully, I'm wrong and someone will tell us both how to fix that!

Re 2: Depending on the users responses, the font will get very small on the results slide.  Is this due to the type of responses I am asking for, i.e. short answer vs. paragraph?

You might try changing those text boxes so they are set to "Do not autofit." Right-click on each box, and from the shortcut menu choose Format Shape, then on the left side of the dialog box choose Text, then select the Do Not Autofit option button. This screen shot, although it's from a correct layer, gives you an idea.

Or, perhaps you can, as you say, try out the short answer type.

3. Regarding the option buttons on slide 2.2 not working,

this WILL work if you create Button sets for each of button rows. Currently, they all belong to Button set 1, so SL assumes only 1 can be selected. 

So, set up new button sets for each row. Here's a screen shot and what I did

1. Selected all the buttons in row 2

2. Right-clicked, making sure the 4 buttons remained active

3. Selected Button Set

4. Selected New set (see red outline)

5. Typed in the new name (see arrow)

6. Clicked Add.

You'll need to do that with all rows and you should be good to go.

Please shout out with any questions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.