Storyline 360 audio volume issue when publishing to video

Dec 18, 2019

I am creating videos showing step-by-step instructions for navigating a web-portal. I am using text-to-speech audio for each step. The final "course" is 30+ slides with audio. I am then publishing as a video.

When I play the video back, the volume of the text-to-speech instructions is getting progressively louder as the video plays. It does this gradually, so you do not notice at first, but if you scrub back to the beginning and then to the end, and compare volume, it is very noticeable. I have tried checking the "Set the same volume level for all audio" box, and it doesn't help. And all the audio is text-to-speech, so it should all render the same anyway!

Has anybody come across this issue?

Thanks,

Jason.

37 Replies
Pat Jones

Hi,

Was this issue resolved and if so, how was it fixed? I am having a similar issue when I publish my Storyline 360 course as a video. The audio is getting progressively louder for no apparent issue. I published another course to video without issues but this one is a problem. I've saved it as a course with a different name and deleted and readded the audio several times. Can you help me?

Lauren Connelly

Hello Pat!

Thanks to Jason's help troubleshooting this issue with our team, we logged this as a bug. We see this issue specifically when audio is inserted into slides that are created from a screen recording. The volume increases when published for video output. 

I've added your comments to our current report! When we have an update, we'll share it in this discussion.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Pat!

Thanks for clarifying! Are you comfortable if we take a look at your file to confirm if this is related to the bug? You can upload it to us by using this secure upload link. We'll reply to you after reviewing and then delete the file after troubleshooting. Let me know if you have additional questions!

Lauren Connelly

Hello Pat!

Thank you for sharing your file! It actually looks like this issue was related to file corruption. I've exported the audio files, imported them into a blank project, and then copied the slides into the new project. You might need to customize the story size, but I've published the course to video, and the audio volume is consistent throughout the project. I'm attaching the updated file.

Katie Riggio

Greetings, Dayn!

Thanks for writing in! We're having trouble recreating the issue Lauren mentions in Storyline 360 Update 47 (here's how to update the app): 

• The volume of audio increases when published for video output. Specifically, with text-to-speech audio inserted on screen recording slides.

Are you seeing the volume increase on the latest update or another version of Storyline? I'm happy to troubleshoot further!

Lauren Connelly

Hello Dayn!

Thank you for sharing these details! With Pat's project, I was able to export the audio files and then import them into a blank project. Lastly, I copied the slides into the new project.

Would you mind trying these steps? If you still see an issue with the volume, it would be helpful to look at the .story file.

Dayn Wilkins

Hi Lauren

I'll give this a try one of the scenes in my project (I'm publishing scenes individually). But the project I'm currently working on has 140 step slides. It would take me hours to export the audio, copy slides to a new project and then re-add the audio. On top of that, I guess the audio would no longer be editabe TTS once exported as a WAV file?

Dayn Wilkins

Hi again Lauren

I've tried that and it didn't work, unfortunately... 

First I tried exporting the TTS audio files in mp3 format as you suggest and then added them to the same project to replace the TTS files (actually, I just hid the original TTS files on the timeline). But the audio still increases when published as video.

Second, I created a new Storyline project, then copied the slides from my original project and then replaced the audio with the exported mp3 files (leaving the TTS files on the timeline as above). The audio still increases.

Finally, I deleted the TTS files from the timeline in my new project, so that this now only has the imported mp3 audio. The volume still increases.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Dayn!

Thank you for continuing to troubleshoot this issue with us! I'd like our Support Engineers to continue investigating this snag with you. I've started a support case on your behalf and sent you an upload link if you're comfortable sharing the affected file. 

I'll be following along to see what the fix is!

Dayn Wilkins

For info... I have been working with Articulate support on my file and they have confirmed that this is a possible bug, which has been logged with the development team.

In the meantime, you could try "normalising" the audio after publishing to video, using a video editor or this free online utility - https://www.video2edit.com/compress-video#su=d444f706-3665-4f2f-9734-6831cf9c4137  I've tried this and it worked for me, although the audio ended up more distorted, so maybe worth publishing at max audio quality from Storyline.

Becca Levan

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to return to this discussion with some great news 🗞

We've fixed the issue you reported where the volume of audio increases if inserted to a slide created from screen recording and if published for video output.

Be sure to install the latest Storyline 360 update (Build 3.50.24668.0) to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If this happens again, please let us know! Or you can work directly with our support engineers here.