Storyline 360 : Reporting each quiz question to the LMS

Apr 27, 2017

Hello,

I'm new to Storyline 360 (was a Captivate user) and was wondering if it's possible to track each question (like with an individual identifier) in our LMS ?

My course has 3 questions and a Results slide with its trigger to report to the LMS. 

Am I missing something? For example, in Captivate, each question had its own Interaction ID, and the course had its own SCO.

With the interaction ID, I could easily see in our LMS which question was missed the most.

Thanks!

Julie

19 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Julie!

What SCORM specification did you publish for? To send question text to your LMS, publish for SCORM 2004 or Tin Can API (also called Experience API or xAPI).

Also, here is a list of the data that Storyline sends to your Learning Management System.  Once that data is compiled in the LMS database, there's really no limit to what kind of analysis you can perform (assuming the LMS grants access to the data)!  

Let me know if you have other questions. 🙂

Julie Frappier

Hi Ashley,

Not sure if I should have started a new threat, but here's what I was aiming for:

I’m moving into Storyline some content I had previously design in Captivate. Our LMS is only SCORM 1.2 compliant, so we can’t publish the content using SCORM 2004.

That being said, the interaction data reported by Captivate includes the question and answer in the CMI.Interaction variables while Storyline, sadly, is very limited in that aspect.

When, or if,  will you include that functionality in Storyline 360?

Thanks!

Julie

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Julie,

Answer text is sent in SCORM 1.2 and 2004.

The interactions.id element that is in SCORM 1.2 wasn't written to allow question text to be sent to the LMS, although it's possible that an authoring tool could be modifying the interactions.id to make it more descriptive. 

There is a bit more technical information about that on this site specific to SCORM support. This blog post also has a good real world example of what that would look like in SCORM 1.2 and 2004.

What LMS are you using? Do you know if they're looking at updating to a newer SCORM standard, or even Tin Can xAPI? 

Hi Julie,

Thanks for that additional info! I checked in with one of my colleagues whose a bit more of a SCORM export and he reminded me of this workaround for SCORM 1.2. The challenge with that is that you'll his the suspend data limit much faster. 

Also, as I understood it from their team they don't support SCORM 2004 but some packages may work, and if there is an issue with SCORM 2004 package , a good way to test is republish with SCORM 1.2. You'll want to set the reporting option to Passed/Incomplete, Passed/Failed, or Completed/Incomplete.  

Daniel Mensch

Hi, 

Related to the original question of an individual identifier for each question, I understand that the output data includes Scene, QuestionDraw and Slide Nr, but what happens when the randomising functionality is selected?  I.e., if the same question can potentially be drawn at different points in a set sequence, would this constitute different QuestionDraws and thus resulting in this same question appearing multiple times in the output reports?

Also, if different scenes draw this same question, the question would appear in the output report again but with a different identifier as the scene and slide are unique. Yes?

If the above is the case, is there any other identifier that follows the specific question in the question bank, irrespective of scene, slide, and draw?

Hi Daniel,

If you're randomizing a question bank, the question would only be pulled once in that attempt - not multiple times throughout. If you're inserting a new question draw and there is a copy of that question, it would count as a new question and new attempt and that would be indicated as a part of the Question Draw in the quiz data. 

A good way to watch any of the data from Storyline pass to the LMS is to enable LMS debug mode. You can use that within your LMS or SCORM Cloud, a good standard for LMS testing.

Kelly Kremin

Jumping onto this thread months later... I'm using 360 and Latitude Learning's free LMS. I need to send each quiz slide to the LMS. (Results slide won't cut it.) In reading through the thread, it looks like all I do on the 360 side is publish to SCORM 2004 or Tin Can API, right? Is that it? Is there any programming I need to do on quiz slides? I'll ditch the results slide for good measure, but other than that, what else? Many thanks!