Which LMS is best for Rise Courses?

Jan 12, 2019

Hey people! I need an LMS to run courses created in Rise. Here's a list of features. Any recommendations?

e-Commerce: 

• Learners can purchase course and watch it right away.
  • Paypal or other easy payment system.
  • Direct payments to multiple payees
  • Require course completion in order to see/take assessment.

Admin functions:

• Advanced reporting
  • Learner data on time spent in each course
  • Automated quiz grading
  • Certificate awarding when student completes course with 75% or higher.
  • Interactive exercises and assessments.
  • Custom branding

SCORM and API compliant.

Quick help (phone or chat).

Cloud hosting

No banners or advertisements

46 Replies
David Emmett

Hi something to consider might be Wordpress - then add the Cluevo LMS to it as a free plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/cluevo-lms/ seems to works well with Rise courses saved as scorm - although I have only just started testing  - if you buy a theme with commerce included you can get most of the building blocks as open source Cheers Dave

Dr. Ron A. Rhoades

As a university educator designing and writing a freshman-level course in Personal Finance, I settled on Thinkific as well. For its ecommerce ability, for no extra cost.

By way of explanation, my educational institution desired to recoup the platform (and other costs incurred) by charging students a modest fee ($20 or less); hence, ecommerce functionality at reasonable cost was required. While not a perfect solution, it beats having students purchase traditional textbooks at $75 to $250 each, or undertake eLearning texts through the traditional textbook publishers (typically $55 to $125, for a limited-in-time eLearning subscription). While separate eCommerce solutions existed that could be paired with Articulate, these solutions would have driven the price up for students beyond the maximum $20 target we desired.

However, I do believe Articulate's RISE 360 platform has several advantages over Thinkific, having worked to set up several modules for a course on each. I would encourage corporate trainers, especially those doing microlearning, to use Articulate, for its user interfaces (especially for learners) are exceptional.

Modern pedagogical techniques - including spaced interval learning, retrieval practice, interleaving, microlearning, combining text with pictures and videos and graphics - can all be well-achieved on the RISE 360 platform. I hope to return to the RISE 360 platform, for future course development, once the ecommerce functionality is improved.

Carriann Lane

I agree. I am just living for the day that a full virtual classroom to really run, not just show, Articulate Content.It’s the best but my platform will not yet support it. Firmwater worked great. It’s expensive by some standards, affordable by others. I did test on Firmwater with perfect results.

Nic Thomas

Hey Taylor, 

I've been using Thinkific for a while now and no probs at all.  The double player is annoying, but if you turn off the side bar prior to exporting it removes that issue (but also the navigation).  For me that works well as what I end up doing is breaking into small courses and separate lessons in thinkific.  The SCORM issue will be for me a future problem, from last contact thinkific are not planning to include due to the API costs

Jessica Ward

Plus one for having Articulate staff gather research on this and help their users by sharing this kind of information. Rise is your product - you tell us which platforms you work with! I've done hours and hours of research on my specific case, but knowing which LMSs Rise works best with, which known bugs and quirks exist, etc. would really help. No amount of research on my part is really going to tell me, for example, that if I try to publish my Rise course on Thinkific I'm going to encounter a double player bar. And over time it seems to me that Articulate staff would be best positioned to gather that information (AND work with other companies to sort out the bugs).

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Jessica, thanks for your note! Are you looking for an LMS to host your Rise 360 courses? What LMS attributes are important to you? 

If you're looking for a system that integrates seamlessly with Rise 360 that makes online training easy to create, enjoyable to take, and simple to manage, check out Rise.com! 

Rich Becker

The Rise courses we developed play fine from the Articulate site, but when we run them from Premier LMS on an iPhone we have trouble. The most common problem is that the text size is inconsistent, and sometimes way way too big (see attached 1682). We are currently seeing the screen effectively cut off halfway down. As user scrolls down, text and images disappear when they get below the midline. (See attached 1680)  Any suggestions?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Rich, thanks for including those screenshots! I can clearly see that Rise isn't displayed correctly from your mobile device. Have you tried hosting it in another LMS environment to compare it to what you're seeing in Premier LMS?

SCORM Cloud is an excellent LMS testing tool, and it's free to use. We'd be happy to help you with that testing if you don't mind sharing your file with us

Josh Harris

I know this is a very old thread, but thought I'd chime in. I know exactly what you were thinking with this question, Harry...because it's one that I've had, often. Literally every LMS I've ever uploaded or tested a Rise course in simply doesn't display it in a way that's logical for the end user, or user friendly. They'll display it in a small iframe, which isn't intuitive for an end user to have to endlessly scroll through, only to have it load new content into the same frame when clicking "continue" at the bottom of a Rise "page." Or they display a "complete course" button beneath that iframe, with no way to disable and logically force the user to look for that "continue" button at the end of a Rise page. From my own exhaustive experience, I've decided that however modern and web-like a Rise course looks, it's simply not going to look how you want it to in any existing LMS. So I end up sticking with Storyline...which is simply not what I want.

Did you ever find a good solution?

Karl Muller

HI JA,

When running a Rise course within a LMS, by default most LMS's will run the course within the LMS environment itself.

In those circumstances, what you say is mostly true.

However, there are a number of LMS's that give you the option to run the course is a new window. When a course is set up to run in a new window, the window with the LMS remains open in the background, while the course opens in its own full-screen window directly over the LMS window .

No components or any part of the LMS UI is visible or LMS UX in the course window.

So there is no iframe or other crude work-arounds.

When you exit a course, that window closes and you go back to the LMS window.

That is how we have set up our LMS, and our Rise courses look exactly like they do in the Rise development environment. 

Rj Murfitt

Hi Harry

Have you managed to bring everything into Microsoft Teams using Rise and TalentLMS?
Rj Murfitt​ | TECHNOLOGY ADOPTION LEAD | IS Support Services, Customer, Community and Services
WAIKATO REGIONAL COUNCIL | Te Kaunihera ā Rohe o Waikato
P: +6478590860
M: +64211981147
F: facebook.com/waikatoregion
Private Bag 3038, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton, 3204

This email message and any attached files may contain confidential information, and may be subject to legal professional privilege. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Waikato Regional Council. Waikato Regional Council makes reasonable efforts to ensure that its email has been scanned and is free of viruses, however can make no warranty that this email or any attachments to it are free from viruses.

Harry Carter

HI Lee,

Yes!

You can hook up your Paypal or other forms of payment and literally put things on auto pilot. Way too much to explain here but...

I have my course running smoothly. I have a bunch of mini quizzes that aren't scored, then one larger quiz at the end, that is scored.

My course is video intensive and I have all my videos stored away in Vimeo, which has such a load of options also.

Bottom line is, the courses are lightweight in TalentLMS.

I set up my site home page links in TalentLMS to mimic my website...so that people could pass back and forth without really feeling as if it's 2 different sites.

Regards,

Harry

Cecilia Ahrman Rasmussen

That sounds good but I can only see the option to add material from Rise360 into Thinkific in a specific lesson. I have built a whole course in Rise360 and will sell it to learners through an LMS and I don´t want to rebuild the course again, is it possible to upload the whole course to Thinkific or do I need to divide it up into lessons to upload?

Kay Terera

I couldn't agree more with this comment. It would be so incredibly helpful if Articulate provided a list of Rise-compliant LMSs for those who want to sell their courses. Simple. I've been investigating this for weeks and have encountered so many headaches along the way.

Articulate staff, please give a list of tried and tested platforms that we can use as a starting point.