Header Image - Ten Storyline 360 Trigger Panel and Workflow Enhancements You Don

As an e-learning developer, you spend a lot of your time mulling over ways to help lighten the cognitive load on your learners. Shouldn’t your authoring apps do the same for you? After all, an intuitive feature here, a considerate little timesaver there, and before you know it you’re more productive, have extra time for creativity, and (best of all) you’ve lowered your stress levels.

That’s why I think the recent enhancements we’ve made to Storyline 360 are really going to make your day! Storyline 360 has a brand-new workflow that makes working with triggers faster and more intuitive than ever. And that means you’re in for a serious e-learning productivity boost!

Let’s walk through a list of ten new trigger workflow enhancements you need to know about and try for yourself. Then you can watch this little video I made for you where I’ll recap these enhancements and show you how and where to find them in Storyline 360. 

But first, here’s a quick rundown of all the latest Storyline 360 goodness.

1. Visual Design Makeover of the Trigger Panel

The entire trigger panel has had a cool, modern makeover, making it easier to parse on the fly. A key part of this makeover includes adding color-coding for triggers, which makes it easier than ever to scan your triggers and see what’s going on with your interactions.

2. Temporarily Disable and Enable Triggers

When you’re trying to troubleshoot an interaction, having the ability to temporarily disable triggers (without having to delete and then recreate them!) is a huge time-saver. Not only does this enhancement save you time with troubleshooting, but it also gives you more creative freedom to experiment with your designs. Hooray for more flexibility!

3. Inline Trigger Editing

Now that we’ve added inline editing—meaning nearly every part of your trigger can be edited directly in the panel, without opening up the full trigger wizard—you’ll find you can edit triggers at lightning speed. 

4. Grouped View

With grouped triggers, you’re able to group multiple triggers, organized by event in one list. Not only is this useful for debugging complex triggers, but it also lets you quickly change the event/object for multiple triggers all at once!

5. Expand and Collapse Triggers

Ever wish you could just zero in on the triggers associated with a specific object? Well, now you can, with the new expand and collapse triggers feature! Collapsing triggers makes it so much easier to focus on just what you need to see.

6. Visual Design Makeover of the Trigger Wizard

Just like the trigger panel, we’ve modernized the trigger wizard, too. Now triggers are described with plain, easy-to-follow language. I love how this makes it so much easier to follow the steps for creating triggers—especially when you’re assembling a complex interaction.

7. Keyboard Navigation

Prefer using your keyboard instead of mousing ? Well, now you can create or edit triggers in a flash using your keyboard. Just tab through the trigger wizard, then use the arrow keys or start typing to filter the dropdown lists. 

8. Intelligent Prefills

Have you ever wished Storyline 360 could read your mind? Well, that’s a tall order, but we might have gotten a little closer with the new intelligent prefills feature. Here’s the deal: Storyline 360 will remember the last trigger you created and then use that as the basis for a new trigger.

9. Improved Condition Authoring

Adding conditions to your triggers is also getting a lot more streamlined. Instead of opening up a separate dialog box to add conditions and then trying to see them in the small scrollable panel in the trigger wizard, now you’ll find them in a handy dropdown menu. This makes conditions easier to see. Conditions are also fully searchable now, and you can duplicate existing conditions to save yourself even more time. 

10. Improved Variable Handling

Another courteous enhancement to the trigger wizard comes in how we’ve separated Storyline 360’s built-in variables from your project variables under the conditions drop-down. This makes it just a tad easier to find and select the right variables when you’re creating triggers.

We’ve made all sorts of improvements that I haven’t even mentioned here; these are just ten of my favorites! For a rundown of this list and to see some of these features in action don’t miss my short video, below.

Are you ready to try these new trigger time-savers yourself? Here’s how it works: 

1. Install any updates from the Articulate 360 tray app.
  2. Launch Storyline 360. 
  3. You’ll see a prompt describing the feature and two radio buttons. “Use the New Trigger Workflow” is selected by default. (However, you can stay with the classic workflow if you’d prefer just by clicking the radio button next to “Stick with the Classic Workflow for Now”). Click the OK button. You’re good to go!

You can switch between the classic and enhanced workflow by accessing Storyline 360 Options from the File menu. On the Features tab, uncheck the box next to “Use the New Trigger Wizard and Panel” to disable the new workflow. Below is an animated GIF showing you where to find this setting.

Animated Gif Showing How to Return to the Classic Trigger Panel

Are you already using the new triggers panel and workflow? Have questions about the difference between the new and classic triggers panel and workflow? Leave me your comments and questions, below. I’d love to lend a hand or hear more about your experiences. 

Want to try something you learned here, but don’t have Articulate 360? Start a free 60-day trial, and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning. 

Related Content
12 Comments
Trina Rimmer
Dane James