Slider illustration

Sliders are a great way to give learners the opportunity to manipulate data and gain a better understanding of the relationships between topics. Take the interaction below, for example. Do you see how much more meaningful it is when you can actually interact with the percentages instead of simply displaying a static version on the slide?

Explore this example

But that’s not all sliders are good for! They have many other creative uses. In this article, I’ll walk you through three of my favorites. 

1. Show Course Progression

Using a slider is a great way to give learners a visual representation of where they’re at in the course. It helps learners plan their time by viewing what they’ve completed and what they have left. 

Here’s an example of what that might look like:

Explore this example and download the template

Thanks to the slide numbers feature in Storyline 360, this is super easy to set up. Just follow the steps outlined in this tutorial: How I Made This Progress Meter in Storyline 360.

2. Chunk Related Content 

Displaying content in chunks makes it easier to read and less overwhelming—especially when there’s lots of information. One common way to do this is by using tabs or click-and-reveal interactions, but another option is to use a slider. 

Here’s an example I created using a Content Library 360 template:

Want to build something like this for your course? It’s super easy! Just follow the step-by-step instructions in this article

3. Help Learners Reflect 

Giving learners time to reflect is a great way to help them engage with the course content on a deeper level. Let’s say you’ve walked learners through a scenario and you want them to imagine how they’d feel if something similar happened to them. You could create a simple interaction like the one below:

Sound like something you could use in your project? Find out how to create it in this tutorial.

Wrap-Up

These are just three ways to incorporate sliders in your course, but there are plenty of others. Have you thought of any creative uses for sliders? If so, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!

If you’ve never worked with sliders before, here are some articles that will help you get started:

And if you’re looking for more ways to improve your courses with Storyline 360, be sure to check out the following articles:

Want to try building sliders in Storyline 360, but don’t have Articulate 360? Start a free 30-day trial, and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning.

Be the first to comment