If you're designing e-learning, you might want to include a post-course evaluation for learners to complete once they finish the training. The post-course evaluation is a survey-style questionnaire that gauges participants’ reactions to the e-learning they just took. The information and feedback you gather through post-course evaluations will help you improve your course and future training materials, so it's definitely an important step.
You might be wondering: which questions should I include in a post-course evaluation survey? To that end, we’ve compiled a helpful list of over 60 potential questions. You likely won’t use every question but can pick and choose the ones that are most relevant to your project and subject matter.
- Rate your understanding of course expectations and assignments.
- Did the course cover the content you were expecting? Why or why not?
- What topics would you have liked to see addressed that were not covered?
Course Structure and Content
- Rate your understanding of the course structure.
- Rate the consistency of the course content with the objectives.
- Rate the relevance of the subject matter or course content.
- Rate your confidence level for completing the knowledge or skill presented.
- Rate the amount of material covered.
- Rate the quality of the examples presented in the e-learning.
- Rate the availability of the instructor via email or online discussion.
- Rate your enjoyment of the course.
- Rate the course workload.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of this e-learning course?
- What part of the e-learning course did you find most useful and interesting?
- What additional material would you like presented in the course?
- Was the content arranged in a clear and logical way? Why or why not?
- Did the content adequately explain the knowledge, skills, and concepts it presented?
- Rate the relevance of assignments, quizzes, and tests.
- Rate the quality of the questions asked in the quizzes.
- Rate the variety of the types of quizzes.
- Was the quiz feedback timely and relevant? Why or why not?
- Did the quiz feedback present new knowledge?
- Were the quizzes presented at adequate intervals?
- Did the quizzes cover and test the material presented in the course?
- How could the exams be improved?
- Were the review sections before the quizzes useful?
- Did the practice questions make good learning tools?
- How much time did you spend on this e-learning course?
- How many hours did you spend completing activities related to the course?
- Was the amount of time it took to complete this course appropriate? Why or why not?
E-Learning Pace and Navigation
- Rate the pace at which the e-learning course advanced.
- Rate the ease of navigation.
- Did the e-learning unfold in a clear direction?
- Did you understand where you had to click to move forward? If not, why not?
- Rate the e-learning access setup or LMS setup.
- Rate the overall visual design of the course content and materials.
- Rate the legibility of the text and fonts in this course.
- Rate the amount of corporate branding (logos, corporate colors) used.
- Rate the quality of the photography used in the course.
- Rate the use of animations in the course content.
- Rate the amount of multimedia used in the course.
- Rate the quality of multimedia used in the course.
- Rate the amount of photography used in the course.
- Rate the amount of audio used in the course.
- Rate the quality of audio used in the course.
- Rate the amount of narration used in the course.
- Rate the voice and quality of the narration used in this course.
- Did the narration add value to this e-learning module? Why or why not?
- Rate the amount of opportunities for interactive learning.
- Was the interactivity suitable for the content? Why or why not?
- If you did some group work, did you enjoy working with your group?
- Did you utilize any links to external websites?
- Did any of the activities help you gain a clearer understanding of the subject?
- Did case studies and scenarios help you gain a clearer understanding of the content?
- Rate your opportunity to interact with other virtual students.
- Rate how isolated you felt from other students.
- Rate how much you missed direct, in-person interaction with other students.
- Rate the technical quality of the course materials.
- Rate how confident you feel about your knowledge on the subject.
- Rate the availability of technical support.
- Identify three important concepts or ideas that you learned in this course.
- Identify three ways you will change how you do your job based on what you learned in the training.
- Identify three ways to improve this e-learning course.
- Make two suggestions to improve understanding of the course content.
- Would you prefer to take this course online or in the classroom? Why?
- Based on this experience, would you take another e-learning course? Why or why not?
- Did you encounter any technical problems during the course? If yes, elaborate.
Are there questions I've left out? Please feel free to share them in the comments. If you’d like to find out more about post-course evaluations, check out these helpful articles:
- Tips for Creating Effective Post-Course Evaluations
- Post-Course Evaluations: What E-Learning Designers Need to Know
Follow us on Twitter and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning. If you have any questions, please share them in the comments.