Using JavaScript and Articulate Storyline #132

Using JavaScript with Articulate Storyline #132: Challenge | Recap

Extend Your E-Learning Development Skills with JavaScript

In a recent screencast challenge, we looked at using variables in e-learning. Since most course designers don’t work with variables, it was a good opportunity to learn how variables can be used to create more dynamic and personalized learning experiences.

Another way to create dynamic courses is by using JavaScript, which is a scripting language that allows users to interact with web pages. Events like hovering, clicking, and typing can execute JavaScript to trigger an action.

In Articulate Storyline, this is all handled for you with built-in triggers. You don’t need to know a thing about JavaScript to build advanced courses.

But Storyline is designed to grow with you. If you look down the list of triggers, you’ll find one dedicated to executing JavaScript.

Extend Your E-Learning Development Skills with JavaScript

Keep in mind that you do not need to learn JavaScript to create highly interactive projects in Storyline. Storyline’s states, triggers, and layers are all you need to create Guru-worthy projects.

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share a Storyline example that features JavaScript. You don’t need to build anything complicated or overly technical. Instead, focus on learning how to insert JavaScript and make something happen.

JavaScript isn’t the easiest thing to learn. If your project doesn’t work as intended, don’t sweat it. I’ll still feature your work in the recap.

Finally, keep in mind that Articulate doesn’t provide support for using JavaScript. If you run into any sticking points this week, please post your questions in the Building Better Courses forums. If the community can help, they will.

JavaScript Examples from the Articulate Community

The Articulate community has shared some amazing examples, source files, and tutorials that can help you get started. Feel free to use any of the Storyline-JavaScript downloads as the starting point for your project.

Zsolt Olah

Zsolt Olah Articulate Storyline and JavaScript

Zsolt Olah comes up with some highly creative ways to include JavaScript with Storyline. He also does a fantastic job of writing about his projects.

Here are some articles, demos, and tutorials that will help you get started working with JavaScript in Storyline:

Melissa Milloway

Melissa Milloway Articulate Storyline and JavaScript

Every time I open Twitter, it seems Melissa Milloway has posted another advanced idea for blending programming languages with Storyline. Here are a few of my favorites:

Aman Vohra

Aman Vohra Articulate Storyline and JavaScript

If you follow the weekly challenges, you know Aman Vohra is someone who likes to share advanced ways to push Storyline’s limits. Here are a few of Aman’s examples that feature JavaScript:

Kristin Anthony

Kristin Anthony

Kristin Anthony shared some super-cool projects that feature JavaScript and Storyline. Check out her posts below because she does a great job of writing about her development process.

Storyline+JavaScript Source Files

Resources

Product support articles

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you geek out on this week’s e-learning challenge, take a look at the blurred background designs your fellow community members shared over the past week:

Blurred Backgrounds in E-Learning

Blurred Backgrounds in E-Learning RECAP #131: Challenge | Recap

Wishing you a JavaScriptastic week, E-Learning Heroes!

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

306 Comments
Meaghan Lister
OWEN HOLT

I was playing around with some of the "Random Number" generator projects recently posted and wondered if there was a way to remove numbers previously generated, based on certain conditions, so that they would not appear again. As it turns out, you can do this fairly simply with JavaScript. The key is to use an array and then create a new array from it after filtering out zero values. You then generate a random number from the remaining values. I used this concept to create a trivia quiz that 1st, randomly selects from 5 categories and then, displays a random question from that category. If you miss a question, it will appear again. If you get a question right, it is removed from the available options. Once all the questions in a category have been answered correctly, the category w... Expand

Maggie Cowan
Anne Seller
David Charney
Alexandros Anoyatis
Veronica Brown

I'd like to get in on this challenge with a project I call "Itr8" (iterate). I want to add a small "database" to a module, so that I can iterate a few slides with changing data instead of building many slides. For example, my first prototype, Flash Cards, iterates one slide with data of the 50 U.S. states and their capital cities. I used an Excel file to generate the JavaScript that defines arrays containing the data. I also wrote JavaScript to randomize the flash cards, track right and wrong answers (self-reported by the user), and repeat wrong ones until the user gets them all right. http://www.veronicabrown.com/itr8-project/ This is a simple first prototype of this concept. I'd like to use this approach for more complex modules in the future. For example, a grammar exercise tha... Expand

Rick Maranta
Caesar Aycocho
Caesar Aycocho
Socrates Anastasiou
Math Notermans
Socrates Anastasiou