24 Replies
Susan Lord

That does not make them 508 compliant.  Run it through ANDI.  If there are no alt tags, and the screen reader cannot identify the elements, it is not 508 compliant.  I am having this issue and trying to figure out how to add alt tags to the GUI post production.  @Tom, if you have any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Susan Lord

Yes, adding alt-text is not an issue on screen. The issue is the wrapper... Ie... you add a logo and can't add the alt text for that logo. When you tab through the elements, many of the wrapper/gui elements do not have tags built in.  I would recommend hiding elements you don't want the user to tab to in the wrapper/gui.  I would also like to be able to add an alt-tag to our Logo.

Susan

Lauren Connelly

Hi Susan!

I appreciate the feedback! Both of your requests have already been shared with our Engineering team, so it sounds like we're on the same wavelength! 

We don't have a timeline to share when alt text will be available for Player elements and logos, but we'll keep you updated in this discussion! You can stay up to date with what we are currently working on by looking at our feature roadmap.

Lauren Connelly

I also wanted to share about removing Player features in Player Properties and Slide Properties. You can uncheck the boxes beside each Player tab if you don't want it to appear on the Player for the entire course or a specific slide!

Lastly, the Player tabs should be read off by a screen reader when moving through the slide content. I've tested this using JAWS and NVDA, and I am hearing the Player tabs read off. Let me know if this isn't working the same on your end. 

Lauren Connelly

We are continuing to update Storyline 3, but we aren't sharing that roadmap publicly. Another thought came to mind about the Player tabs; if you head over to Text Labels in the Player Properties, you can change the Player Tabs' name. For example, the Menu Tab, Resources Tab, etc. 

We just released a Storyline 3 update today. You can see what's included in the update here. 

Ghislaine Laurin

Hi Maria,

Here is how my Slider is set up: I have a Slider with stops 0 to 7. When the Slider's value changes, it shows a new layer of content. For example, when the Slider's value equals 2, it shows layer 2.

While the slider itself is accessible using the keyboard, it does not make the Storyline accessible. I can navigate with the arrow keys, but the screen reader does not read the content on each "stop" layer. How do I activate my screen reader to read the content on each "stop"?

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ghislaine.

Thank you for clarifying!

Since the slider is on the base layer, and by using the keyboard to navigate, you are focusing on that base layer, the screen reader is not verbalizing the content on each of the other layers. 

A workaround would be to adjust the layer properties of each of your seven layers by checking the following options:

• Hide other slide layers
  • Hide objects on base layers
  • Prevent the user from clicking on the base layer

Windows 10 (1) 2021-10-14 at 3.40.57 PM

Then you can add a button to hide the layer and allow the user to continue to move the slider.

While this works, I would suggest using a different type of interaction that will better suit an accessible course and be screen-reader friendly if your design allows it. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi again, Ghislaine. 

We agree. Many users use layers to display the information that pairs with their slider, so we've submitted this as a bug to our team.

I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur. This conversation is attached so that we can share any updates with you here.

Another option is to have the content on the base layer of the slide, with your slider, and use states to control the display. For example, y shape starts in a disabled state and when slider = x, change the state of y shape to normal. Take a look at slide 2 in this attached example if you're interested in learning more.

Ghislaine Laurin

Hi Leslie,

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing information about how you define bugs. Thank you, also, for submitting this issue as a bug! Our company is an avid user of Storyline and other Articulate products, and with growing demands from our clients to make our courses and learning objects accessible (WCAG, 508, etc.), we appreciate all your effort and updates in recent years. 

I have tested your slider example (slide 2) with a screen reader, and I am still unable to activate the reading of the text... I will test it again with my team. Thanks again!