Image size in Storyline 360

Sep 27, 2018

What is the recommended size (pizel width and height? resolution dpi?) for images to be inserted into Storyline 360?

I will resize the image somehow (suggestions?) and then insert into Storyline and move it, place it, etc., knowing that I have a suitable image in terms of size and resolution. I have read the setting specifications.

I don't have a Photoshop (too small on a Surface) or any other editor.

There are a lot of discussions about images but it would be good to have a clear idea of size and resolution.

Thanks 

10 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Generally I used the course resolution as a guide. For example, no need to insert a 6000x5000 image into a course that's 720x540. The image is going to scale down to fit the dimensions of the course. Everything gets optimized for web delivery when you publish.

A bigger concern is probably using media that's so large it eats up your memory while in production mode. For the most part that's not an issue with images, but can be with video.

Mark Jennings

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply - and all the good work that you, and your colleagues, do for the community! Much appreciated.

So, to clarify it for a dummy like me, I don't really have to worry about size as Storyline will scale it down anyway for web delivery - as long as the image is not bigger than the course. For example, if the course has a resolution of 720 x 540, then don't insert an image bigger than that!

What do you recommend/use as a standard guide for image size that I could use in just about any course? I could then ensure all my images are ## x ## and then insert them into my project where I can resize them as I see fit. What is my go to size so I don't have to worry?

Thanks

Tom Kuhlmann

You can insert an larger image, but it will get scaled down to fit the slide. Image resolution isn't that much of an image usually when scaling down. However, it is when scaling up because the picture becomes pixelated. 

I usually don't go over 2500 wide on images because there's not really much noticeable difference. The main thing is you usually don't need to worry about the image size. However, if you had 30 images that are all 5000x wide, then it could make sense to do a batch edit to scale them down a little.

David Tait

I find that dpi does matter when inserting images in to Storyline.

Images at 72ppi don't give me the quality I need. Instead I create my images at the actual size I need (Illustrator or Photoshop) with a resolution of 96ppi and scale them down to 75% when I insert them in to Storyline. High quality every time.

This screen grab shows a quick comparison. The difference is subtle but noticible.

Storyline 360 PPI comparison

I believe that when Storyline publishes a course all images are output at a resolution of 96ppi. If you use images that are 72ppi then those images will be upsampled to 96ppi resulting in a degredation in quality.

Alain Dumais

Oh, I think you find the solution at my problems David (and Tom):

In Photoshop, my images are perfect, but in they are always a little blurred in SL, even while keeping their zoom at 100% (and the Image quality at 100% in Publish Quality Settings). This causes me a lot of difficulty when I need to insert accurate scientific tables, charts and pictures in my slides.

I never thought to put 'em at 96ppi; which I’m going to test right now!

Thanks!
Alain

(Sorry about my spelling, I don’t speak English. Or so little :-)

Magento U

Thanks for this thread, I hadn't considered the dpi/ppi.

One thing that's really worked for me (at this point) is to change the Storyline slide size to 1920 wide, maintain aspect ration, scale up.  Granted the courses I deliver are primarily consumed via desktop. But the images are much less blurry with the Storyline slide size increase.

This is after batching all the images down to 720px wide, batching an increased dpi/ppi on the originals. The increased storyline slide size has had the greatest improvement in image quality