Is there a way to use Storyline 360 on a Mac?

Feb 23, 2018

I'm new to Articulate360. I love the platform but I'm realizing that there's some amazing stuff that can only be created in Storyline. But I don't have Windows. Is there a way to use Storyline on an Apple computer? Or a way to use it online as Rise?

Thanks for your support!

96 Replies
Chris Wirick
Phil Mayor

I don't think there is a native version being planned. I would love to be proved wrong.

There was one planned and underway until Articulate suddenly pulled the plug without a real explanation. I would love to hear the story from Adam or Mark on exactly what happened. Technical issues they couldn't overcome? Programmers who didn't have the requisite skills to port the software over successfully? Maybe there's a plan for a browser-based version of Storyline that will work on all platforms? Who knows, but I'd love to get the inside scoop. It was a crushing blow when I heard the Mac version had been canned.

It's such a bummer for Mac-using instructional designers to be left out in the cold. It's the 21st century now - shouldn't Windows-only software niches finally be a thing of the past? And yes, Adobe Captivate is available for Mac, but it sucks (as does the online Captivate user community). Captivate for Windows is an archaic, bug-ridden mess as well.

I've had serious issues running Storyline 360 in Parallels in the past (see this thread). I've mostly given up my freelance eLearning development side-hustle because the technical issues were just too frustrating and problematic for me as a Mac user. So now I just stick to my "day job" working in Captivate for Windows (ugh).

I wish someone would step into the void with a real Mac-like eLearning development tool.

Chris Wirick
William Theroux

I was running Parallels on my laptop trying to use storyline and it crashed my computer numerous times and i needed to have my machine re-imaged each time. 

A few ago I had serious issues running Storyline in Parallels that cost me a lot of unbillable hours of rework and left me with serious egg on my face with my client. Seemed it wasn't worth all the blood, sweat and tears and I've mostly given up freelance work since.

Paul Schneider

Seriously folks, either give up your Macs or use another solution or if you have no power or influence over those two choices, start asserting some (everyone has the ability to influence and to increase that influence). We all shouldn't expect our "hammer" to be the only tool we ever use. I mean even Storyline didn't think that - hence the creation of Rise. I've read of many other cases like Chris' and like Chris did, stop banging your head against the wall! The pain is so much I can even sense it virtually!

Chris Wirick

"Seriously folks, either give up your Macs"

NEVER!!!!!

"Or use another solution."

Therein lies the problem. There isn't one. :(  (I'm not counting Captivate, because it's trash on Mac (and mostly-trash on Windows).

I imagine we only seal our own fates when we willingly resort to running Windows programs on our Macs via virtualization. It gives vendors a cheap and easy out ("Just use Parallels!") while still vacuuming up our sweet, sweet subscription revenue. It's amazing the number of Macs I see at eLearning conferences, yet the market is almost exclusively Windows-only.

It used to be a Windows world. Not anymore. Except for in the eLearning development market, which is always 10 years behind the rest of the world anyway.

Paul Schneider

re: Macs - lol I would expect that.  User another solution.  - there isn't one.  Sorry but that is soooo wrong a statement. There are many other solutions. Of course with every solution that have their pros and cons (like doesn't work on Macs) so depending on your situation that might in fact be the only option, but for 98% of the situations I've run into there are definitely other solutions that meet the need (and sometimes much better).