Is there a way to use Storyline 360 on a Mac?

Feb 23, 2018

I'm new to Articulate360. I love the platform but I'm realizing that there's some amazing stuff that can only be created in Storyline. But I don't have Windows. Is there a way to use Storyline on an Apple computer? Or a way to use it online as Rise?

Thanks for your support!

96 Replies
Paul Schneider

What's crazy is how dedicated Mac users are to their Macs AND to Articulate. As good as Articulate is, its not like there aren't competitors out there who provide an equally good solution that works on native Mac (or even perhaps a better solution depending on what is important to you). Maybe its times to just move forward and onward?  Or as I've seen pointed out, Rise works just fine on the Mac.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Sharon and welcome to E-Learning Heroes 😊

While we haven't announced plans for a native Mac version of Storyline, we are continuing to track the requests.

Many members of our team, myself included, use Parallels to run a Windows environment on a Mac. We'd love to help keep your development running smoothly: Check out our best practices for using Articulate software on a Mac with Parallels here. Or, reach out to our Support Engineers here.

William Theroux

Listen you’re active like Verizon or Cox right now with just terrible service and pretty much saying. We are sorry we know you all want a Mac version but we really don’t care about what you want. That’s pretty pathetic as a software company. There is a native version of MS PowerPoint so overlay whatever you guys initially did to build the window version of storyline for a Mac. Make your consumers happy sell way more software and be done with it. 

William Theroux

You guys keep saying g that you’re all using parallels on your system and everything works perfectly. You’re definitely lying. There is zero chance that you have built tons of modules on a Mac using parallels and haven’t had major systems crashes and data loss. I tried doing the parallels for a year and it crashed my computer 3 times where the processor crashed because you’re running two full operating systems. Just listen to the thousands of requests to build the Mac version. If any other comparable software released on Mac native you guys would immediately lose all of your customers who develop on a Mac. Come on guys get us a legit reason that you don’t think that this would immediately benefit your company

Phil Mayor

I have used storyline on a Mac using parallels and have produced 100+ modules a year for over 10 years. No data loss or major issues.

Never used it on a PC Until this year and still prefer to use it on a Mac.

I would love a native version but would need to have 100% of the features I just don’t see it happening and happy to continue with parallels.

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Schneider

Having worked at a few software companies, it is no insignificant effort to build your software on another operating system and maintain it. For that matter when your customer base continues to pay your product and finds workarounds to make your software work in their desired environment, then honestly why bother. The customer base is already quite loyal and happy (or happy enough) with the product. I'm sure from Articulate's point of view it would be a lose lose to do this given their Mac customers really aren't leaving the product in droves... maybe trickles here and there. Not being cynical just realistic.

Ethan Duffy

Software development aside, what should immediately be corrected is the FAQ on this topic. It can't run in the sense of double-clicking an app on a mac sold today and having it open, so the opening phrase cannot be "You can run Articulate 360 desktop apps" - this is obfuscation rather than information.

And read "Articulate 360 web apps—Rise 360 and Review 360—can be used natively on a Mac." A web app can do lots of things, but it's not a native app. This is just misinformation.

I don't see how it's practical to do media development in a virtualised system, because you're going to have to be moving things between, the native OS for performance e.g. in creative suite apps to edit animations etc and the authoring tool in the virtualised space all the time. Simpler projects would be fine in an HTML5 app, but it seems like H5P is pretty good for that too. An apple silicon build of Adobe Captivate doesn't seem to be on the cards, but for other software the only hit has been some plugins and a little performance loss - there is no time investment in switching back and forth.

I'm starting out in this field but I don't want to stick any real amount of time getting to grips with articulate if I am then stuck with Windows 11. I know I have no entitlement to any particular platform, but Articulate should at least honestly ward customers away from trying to use Storyline on non-Windows platforms and achieve some clarity.