Need Multiple Feedback Responses for Multiple Choice Answers in a Storyline 360 quiz

Oct 07, 2019

Hello, my client wants us to produce quiz questions that have multiple feedback answers based on the various options selected on a quiz page. For example, when users select B and D, they will receive a Correct feedback response, when users select any option that includes B or D, they will receive a Partially Correct feedback response, and when users select options that do not include options B and D, they will receive an incorrect feedback response. I have attached a file where I attempted to set this up myself but it is not working properly. Can this actually be done, or am I missing something? Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

20 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Sherri

see if the attached works for you - I've tested a few combinations and I think its what you want.

I duplicated your slide, removed all the triggers and used variables to control when the layers displayed.

Shout out if you have any questions.

Sherri West

You're amazing Wendy! That work's great... thank you so much! This is a life save since our client wants these type of questions and feedback going forward. I do have one additional question. Our client just asked if there is a way to put a 3 attempt limit on the quiz question. I am thinking that since this question slide is custom programmed, and I am not using the default feedback options, adding the 3 attempt limit would interfere with the custom programming. Is that right? 

Again, thank you so much!!!!

Sherri West

Yes, that's right. Is this possible? I haven't done any customization before where you limit users on how many times they can perform an option. I know that the default quiz slides have an option for the number of attempts but we have bypassed the default quiz feedback options and used our own feedback options (the incorrect, correct, and partially correct). 

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sherri

check out the update to your file. I have duplicated slide 2 and made the following changes:

I initially had the triggers for selection of the checkboxes when the user clicked the submit button but I've changed it to a 'toggle' so now if the user clicks to select then decides to change their mind, we are validating correctly.

I've added in a count and used triggers on the partial and incorrect layers to show/hide a 'Try again button'.

You may need to change the text on your partial and incorrect layers as you are giving them the answer which defeats the purpose of 'trying again'...

I've tested a few combinations but not all so you'll need to do some testing to make sure it's returning the layer you want when you want.

Hope this helps and shout out with any questions.

Sherri West

Thank you so much...everything was working fine until i messed things up by adding a continue button. I am not sure how the Continue button has messed this up. After the three attempts on the Incorrect feedback and the partially correct feedback, I have a continue button that should display. the user will click the continue button and move on to the next page; however, now the feedback does not display at all. There is a flash and then the course auto jumps to the next page in the file.  Nothing is set to automatically continue to the next page. I am not sure why it's acting this way. I have attached the file.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sherri

I have experienced this issue before I had feedback layers that had custom names and SL didn't like it - I was using SL2 though and the workaround was to go back to using the default feedback layers (in the feedback master move all the text boxes and buttons offstage) and then add your own objects but still retaining the Correct / Incorrect / Try Again naming convention - every time I veered away from that it bombed.

Sorry I didn't think about it when we were building this slide as there was no next slide so I was concentrating more on getting the right layers to display.

I would log a support ticket with Articulate and see if there is a better way - if not, let me know and we'll see what we can come up with.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Sherri West

Wendy, after working with Articulate Support, they have come up with a way to use a quiz template slide and customize it to have Multiple Feedback for Multiple Answers. I'm attaching the sample below if you or anyone else can use it. Thank you again for helping me! I can definitely use both your set up and Articulate's setup depending on our customer's specific needs! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Nayeli and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your question. Since it's been a while since the previous example was shared, I'd recommend sharing the .story file that you're working on so we can help you directly.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.