Out of memory exception occurs during publishing

I have a very large project (~8GB) which contains a lot of video files. Storyline 2 had been working fine until yesterday when it suddenly gave the "System out of memory exception" during publishing. Today I've increased the RAM of my PC to 16GB, increased the virtual memory allocated for the drive I'm working on (my project is on local drive), uninstalled/re-installed SL2 but nothing seems to work.

Here's the information:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<ErrorReport xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ReportType>Error</ReportType>
  <ApplicationName>Storyline</ApplicationName>
  <Version>2.4.1501.717</Version>
  <SerialNumber />
  <Enterprise>false</Enterprise>
  <Email />
  <Date>2015-04-27T14:36:07.6812768-04:00</Date>
  <Message>Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.</Message>
  <Source>Articulate.Player</Source>
  <StackTrace>System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
   at b.b.b.a(bwFonts A_0)
   at b.b.f.b(b A_0)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action)
   at b.b.b(IPlayerService A_0, bwContent A_1)
   at Player.PlayerWriter.Write(IPlayerContentProvider contentProvider)
   at Articulate.Design.Publish.TargetContext.PublishBackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at Articulate.ComponentModel.STABackgroundWorker.a(Object A_0)</StackTrace>
  <FlashVersion>WIN 17,0,0,169</FlashVersion>
  <PrivateMemory>3,229,644 K</PrivateMemory>
  <VirtualMemory>3,699,480 K</VirtualMemory>
  <OSVersion>Windows 7 6.2.9200.0</OSVersion>
  <CLRVersion>4.0.30319.34014</CLRVersion>
  <ProcessorCount>8</ProcessorCount>
</ErrorReport>

I'm not sure if this is really about memory. Maybe SL doesn't like something in the project so it gives this error?

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Tracy, 

Can you confirm that you're working on and publishing to a local drive as detailed here?  Have you also tried saving it to a different file name and then trying to publish that version? 

You may also want to look at purging the temp files as described here. You mentioned changing the size of your virtual memory, so I just wanted to confirm you were following the steps here. 

Please let us know after checking into those items if you're still experiencing the same behavior. 

Tracy Hoang

Hi Ashley:

 

I've found the problem.

First, it was the memory (or some other) issue that caused my Storyline
project to shut down. When I opened it again, some components in the project
had already been corrupted which led to the second issue, that is the "out
of memory" exception during the publish process. I've just been able to
dentify the corrupted modules and are now working on rebuilding them.