Printing in Storyline 360

Feb 23, 2017

Has anyone managed to get a a reliable print method for any slide in Storyline 360 - that is on all browsers and on iOS as well. I put in a feature request a year or two ago about this.

I have seen HTML output solutions for certificates and write to pdf etc. I need a solution to print what is actually there according to what a user has/has not done on any slide. Just a simple print what you see button.

I used to use a widgit from enhanced elearning that tested for flash or html5 and then printed any slide accordingly.

This does not work now in 360.

There seem to be some simple solutions

Maybe a workaround might be to to have two buttons  which hide depending on whether the player is or is/not on iOS. Is there a reliable way to test for this?

I need some help here urgently - can anyone help please?

Chris

25 Replies
Chris Pim

Further to my last post.

In Storyline 2 this code seemed to reliably check whether HTML5 or Flash were being used - where 'shell' is a text variable:

----------------------

var p = GetPlayer();
var s="ios"
try{
if(g_bMinFlash){s="flash"};
}catch(e){}
if(p.isHTML5){s="html5"};
p.SetVar("shell",s);

---------------------

It no longer seems to work.

Anyone know why this might no longer work in 360?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Great news! Articulate 360 Update 4  was just released, and included a number of fixes which you can see in the release notes available here.  The item you all may be particularly interested in is how it fixed an issue where HTML5 output wouldn't display a custom report.html file for printed quiz results.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Chris Pim

A programmer at Articulate has found a solution for reliable printing of screens in HTML5 output from Storyline 360. It seems to work in Firefox, Explorer and Chrome as well as Safari on an iPad.

An existing Flash implementation also works. For me this is tremendous news.

https://www.elearningfreak.com/storyline/how-to-print-slides-in-articulate-storyline-360-in-html5/

This is an unsupported solution so any problems with it would need to be found in the community rather than Articulate directly so I am told.

Well done Brian Batt at Articulate!!!

Heath Harper

I too would like to have the print function focus on a specific area. I tried opening the slide as a light box to clarify the area, so only that would print, but it included the player as well.

Is there a way in the script to outline the area, such as a lightbox as the only area you want to print?

Hi Theresa,

If you're looking to print out a copy, you could use the Publish to Word. That'll capture each slide and the additional images/captions added to it. It won't capture mouse movements or other interactive parts, as the publish to Word will capture a static image of each slide.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding what you're hoping for, and I’ll be happy to help with other ideas! 

Theresa Prestine-Dommer

Hi Ashley,

I realize we can use the word doc but it is something that requires clean-up. We were more so looking for a job aid type format, where it just shows the steps in words and the picture/icon that goes with it.

Thanks!

Theresa Prestine-Dommer
Schneider
Learning and Development Technology and Onboarding Mgr
(ph) 920-592-7367

Hi Luke, 

Sorry, you've hit a snag with the Javascript printing, I saw you posted here too, so I suspect that this issue is somewhat urgent!

With Javascript issues, the community will likely need to take a look at your .story file and the Javascript code you added to see what's going on under the hood. Do you want to add those pieces to your new discussion post? That way some of our e-learning experts are more apt to see it and offer their wisdom. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help on - sadly Javascript issues are well outside my area of comfort. 

David O'Sullivan

Hi all,

we have recently began building our courses on Articulate 360 and have hit a snag. Our courses require students to answer 4 or 5 stand alone activities and we are trying to find a way to grab the information from each activity and pull it through to a final single page printable 'student plan'. Is this possible at all?

Tabatha Willis

Hi - I used the below code provided to print a slide in my storyline file. However, it prints in portrait mode and 100%. I can manually update the print settings to landscape and scaled to 75% and it prints perfectly. Is there a way to update the code to automatically print the slide in a landscape format and to scale the size?  I have attached my file also.

Code Used:

if (document.location.href.indexOf('html5') < 0) {
GetPlayer().printSlide()
} else {
if(!window.hasPrintStyle){
window.hasPrintStyle = true;
var css = "@media print {div.controls.grid-row.inflexible,div.area-secondary.cs-left.inflexible,header.header-primary.centered-title.extended-height,div.presentation-wrapper:after {display:none !important; visibility:hidden !important;}}";
head = document.head || document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
style = document.createElement('style');
style.type = 'text/css';
if (style.styleSheet){
style.styleSheet.cssText = css;
} else {
style.appendChild(document.createTextNode(css));
}
head.appendChild(style);
}
window.print();
}

Karen B Encina

Hi all,

I have added a printing" button using the "javascript" window.print(); so that people can print one of the pages of the course. Some people will most likely use this function and instead of printing they will select "save as pdf". However, the page has hyperlinks and are lost in the pdf document, do you have any solution? 

Thanks very much!