Quiz Feedback

Mar 02, 2023

Hi, 

I've created a project in Storyline that contains several quiz questions. I'm using the built in feedback and correct/incorrect layers, but upon reviewing the project, it does not reveal the correct/incorrect layers when clicking the "submit" button. I've added in my own submit button. Can someone help me understand why this may not be working properly? It may be something simple and I just haven't figured it out, but I was thinking these were supposed to automatically show up when they click submit. Maybe I missed something? I've attached a screenshot of my slide view and my form view. 

In addition to this, I've also encountered another issue. Two of my eleven questions will not allow me to select a response anymore, though they did at first (it won't let me click an answer choice). But the other 9 questions are fine. Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help!

7 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Allison,

The trouble is in your triggers with your custom submit button. The first trigger jumps to the next slide when button 1 is clicked. When it jumps, it stops executing all the other triggers on that page, so the submit trigger never fires. If you are previewing only the question slide, you will not get an error message when it tries to jump and there is no slide there to jump to. That makes it look as if nothing is happening. Delete the "Jump to next slide" trigger and the Submit trigger will work correctly. The correct and Incorrect feedback layers default to having a Continue button, which when clicked will jump to the next slide.

Allison Bearer

Thank you so much! This completely solved the issue of the correct/incorrect layers showing up. So appreciative of your help. 

Does anyone know why some of the responses may not be letting me click on an answer? Now there are a few more doing it. One of them being a text box. There is a trigger that says "set unassigned to unassigned when the text entry loses focus." What does this mean? 

Garth Yorko

When you add a Text Entry input item to a slide, Storyline automatically creates a trigger to set the variable associated with the text entry box to the typed value when the learner clicks somewhere outside of the text entry box.

For example, Set TextEntry to the typed value when Text Entry loses focus.

If you delete the associated variable, then the trigger reads as you described. It sounds like the variable for that text entry box was deleted. 

It is difficult to see why your other questions do not work without either the file or screen shots of the question and triggers.

Allison Bearer

Apologies - attaching screenshots now. This is one of the questions that is not allowing me to click an answer choice. All of them except two of them are doing it, but the triggers look to be set up the same on all of them. I don't see any differences between the ones that are working and the ones that aren't. 

Thanks for any feedback you have. 

Allison Bearer

I wish I could say this solved the problem - it did allow me to type into the text box finally; however, it wouldn't do anything when I pressed the save response button, even though I had the trigger set up. I still cannot choose responses on the multiple choice questions either. I'm stumped! I must have done something while messing around with it the other day because they worked fine a few days ago. Thanks for your help!

Allison Bearer

Hello All, just reaching back out to let you know I have found the issue in case anyone else runs into something similar. It was very simple, as I suspected. I had the text box for the answer choices covering the submit button, but never noticed it. Here I was thinking I needed to have the questions on top, but I was so focused on that, that I did not realize they were also covering the submit button! Hope that helps, and also thanks everyone for their input and help on the other issue!