Simulations of many online case studies, using Storyline 360 to record proprietary software

Jul 19, 2022

Hi Heroes! 

Here's my latest challenge, hoping you can help with some best practices.  I'm creating a library of hypothetical case studies run through proprietary software, and my plan is to use Storyline 360 screen recording tool for capturing those simulations (view it, try it with hints, try it solo type theory). 

I'm not a pro with their proprietary software so I'll need to rely on some champions to perform the step by steps there, but I'll be responsible for the recordings using StoryLine 360.  Steps for each case study are not documented and even attempting to doing so will knock my timeline way out of scope.  Champions will know how to perform each case study without documentation but they won't be able to record through StoryLine 360.  Scope also might be one or two hundred of these case studies in total.  My champions are all remote so I know I won't be physically working side by side with them.

So my challenge... if I schedule to remote connect with them online and give them access to my version of the proprietary software (it's okay with the proprietary software license there, no concerns) while they "drive"... I can capture the recordings of the case studies on my machine.  If the champions record themselves locally on their computers using whatever screen recording resources they have, can I then import that recorded output into StoryLine 360 and do some editing for a similar outcome?  My heroes, is there a better way?  

Also when I have the recording file from StoryLine 360 and it prompts me to imbed in a StoryLine project it asks how to include it (video on a single slide or step by step slides).  Can I use the same recording to do both options or is it a one or the other only choice?  Again my Heroes, is there a better way?

Thank you!

2 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Karen, 

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes! 

Allow me to address each of your inquiries individually: 

1. If the champions record themselves locally on their computers using whatever screen recording resources they have, can I then import that recorded output into StoryLine 360 and do some editing for a similar outcome? 

- You will be able to import the recording, but only as a video file. Storyline 360 will not be able to break the recording down into view it or try it mode slides since it will not be able to recognize any of the actions being taken in the recording. 

2. Also when I have the recording file from StoryLine 360 and it prompts me to imbed in a StoryLine project it asks how to include it (video on a single slide or step by step slides).  Can I use the same recording to do both options or is it a one or the other only choice?  

- Yes, you will be able to use your Storyline 360 recordings to generate try it, view it, and test it slides as many times as you need. 

Here's a helpful article for your reference on the available modes for Screen Recordings. 

Hope this helps!