SL360 - Deployed module doesn't fully progress for some learners at random.

Sep 01, 2022

Hi Heroes,

I have an issue below which i'm hoping someone out there has come across before and could provide some assistance / insight on. :)

I have a frequent issue with eLearning modules developed in Storyline 360 (which spans across multiple modules). It appears at random the deployed module will stop progressing for some learners. For example, if a module contains 30 sequential slides each with a NEXT button to move on from slide to slide, somewhere within those 30 slides the module will just stop progressing. Sometimes the learner will get to a random slide such as 20/30 or 25/30 sometimes 4/30 at this point the next button will do nothing. This sometimes can be a frequent event, frequent enough to cause concern and problems further on down the line.

I’m asking if you could provide any insight as to why this is happening?

Does storyline stream a module via LMS to a learner?

Is it possible the stream is interrupted?

Is it possible to add something (JavaScript) to a module to provide additional information on such a disconnect?

Perhaps the module is downloaded in bulk at the start and the download doesn’t complete? (maybe due to network issues).

Maybe content heavy (large source file) modules are prone to error?

At the moment the only solution to this problem Is to get the learner to delete their browser cookies/history and restart the module from the beginning. This often then allows the entire module to progress as expected. (re-downloads the module?).

Maybe these issues are caused by poor network connections? If that’s the case is there anything that can be done to reconnect these modules without needing to delete cookies.

I would also like to know more on how a storyline module is sent to and from the learner?

Does the module send a kind of heartbeat to an LMS to keep connection?

I’m at a loss as to how I can investigate this issue at the moment, any help or guidance would be gold.

Thank you very much for your time.

1 Reply
Kelly Auner

Hi James,

Thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with your eLearning modules not allowing learners to progress. Have you tested your files in SCORM Cloud? This will help determine if this is an issue within your module or the LMS.

Here are some additional resources about working with an LMS:

Please let me know if you need additional assistance with this. Hopefully others in the community may have some insight as well!