Software simulation using video not recorded through Storyline 360

May 10, 2023

Hello all

I have previously made interactive software simulations by recording through Storyline, which has worked really well. Now I have been asked to do an interactive software simulation of a program that I do not have access too. Is it possible for the SMEs to make a screen recording and then send it to me to be uploaded to Storyline 360 in the form of a simulation and not just a video?

16 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Tanya,

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, converting a screen recording into Storyline Step-By-Step Slides is not possible. Storyline 360 needs to detect the inputs of the learner while the screen recording is taking place in order to properly generate each step in the slides.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Tom Kuhlmann

As Joe noted, there isn't a way to import the video per se. However, what I'd do is extract the frames of the video. You won't need all of them since you get 30 fps. You just need the ones that you click on and the corresponding frame that results from the click. 

Insert those images on slides and then use hotspots to create the interactions.

As a short cut, you could create a dummy screen recording to get the layers and what not. And then copy and paste those onto your image slides. That will save a lot of construction time.

Tom Kuhlmann

You can record the screencast in Storyline and remove the mouse the way Joe shows.

Assuming you used a different program to record the video and you're bringing it into Storyline, removing the mouse depends on what application was used to initially record the screencast. Many of the programs will let you remove the mouse. If that's not available, what you need to do is extract the frames and manually cover up or remove the mouse. That should be pretty easy to do since the mouse isn't too big.