Storyline 360: Enable Next Button When All Dial Selections Have Been Visited

Jul 30, 2021

Problem: Next button is disabled at start of timeline, and the state of the Next button will need to be Normal after all selections on the Dial have been satisfied - but dial points and layers are not seen as objects in Storyline, so I can't find a way to automatically change the state of the Next button to normal after all layers have been viewed (like you would typically be able to when using buttons, images, or other objects). 

Detail:

In trying to create a unique way to navigate layers when talking about various types of automobile fraud, I used the Dial tool to mimic a speedometer in a car and when the user moves the dial to each point, a new layer appears. 

My client would like the next button disabled until the user has navigated through all layers. The problem I'm running into is that you can't change the state of a layer to visited as a layer is not considered an object. You also can't select points on the dial as changeable state objects - only the entire dial itself. There are 11 layers the user needs to read before moving on. 

If you can make layers appear by moving a dial's needed to certain points, logic would dictate that you would be able to individually set a trigger on each individual point on the dial as visited (ect) so you could use a dial as a selection tool rather than buttons or another object. 

2 Replies
Walt Hamilton

You said;

If you can make layers appear by moving a dial's needed to certain points, logic would dictate that you would be able to individually set a trigger on each individual point on the dial ...

You can. Create a variable for each layer. When you make a layer appear, use the same action to set its variable to True. If you are using some mechanism to close each layer before the next choice, use that mechanism to change the Next button if all the variables are True. If not, at some timeline point (5, 10 sec) in each layer fire the trigger to change the Next button if all the variables are True.