Storyline 360: Player Does Not Show Elapsed Time/Course Time?

Aug 02, 2018

I cannot find where you have the option to show 1. page length and 2. overall course length.  I'm using the new black modern player for my course.

Thank you.

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ross, 

A few folks have asked for similar things such as a timestamp or progress bar that would indicate how long a user has left in the course.  This feature hasn't bubbled up to the top of our roadmap, but we're still listening to the feedback!  Here's a bit more about how we work to prioritize feature requests

I'll include this discussion in the report filed so that we can update you here once there is more info. 

Steve Johnson

Thanks, but this doesn't show me how to add a timeline or mouse over the timeline bar to see where I am in the total elapsed time, which is what I need to be able to do. Any word on when this feature will be added?

What the linked video about DOES show in the YouTube player is exactly what I'm looking for (next to volume there is a "0:01/0:59" listing for elapsed time and if you pause and mouse over the timeline it pops up exact elapsed time for a specific place.

This allows us to tell someone collectively how long our training document is to watch from start to finish. I've seen it also displayed in the course section elements (e.g. Section 1: Introduction (1:45)) as well but not in Storyline yet.

So when someone asks me how long my course is, I have to guess or time it as I run through it from start to finish to get a close estimate.

Would appreciate a progress update, have gotten this request several times.

Michelle Edwards Johnson

I have seen this as a request going back 6 years or so judging by a quick look at the many discussions started on this topic. This is kind of a big deal for us (an apparently others) as it's available in Presenter which we used to used ages ago, but not in Storyline which in all other ways is a better, and more robust option. Can someone update us on the status of this request? Is it at least in the pipeline?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michelle,

This is still an open feature request that we are tracking, but it is not on the roadmap at this time. This conversation is linked to our report so that we can share any updates with you here.

Presenter creates a course linearly. In Storyline, the duration of a specific slide or the entire course can vary depending upon the amount of interactivity, layers, complex branching scenarios, and more that may be present.  

Emily Lloyd

I'm so surprised this is not a feature in Storyline the same way it is in Presenter/Studio. We have created a good number of Presenter courses that use branching, have interactivity, and generally have things on the screen the user may spend time reviewing that would likely not be accounted for in the estimated duration. I'll add to the chorus of folks requesting this feature. We would really like to see it. I would assume it would be based on the total slide durations as it seems to be with Presenter. 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone.

I have exciting news to share!
We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 58, we've included important fixes and new features.

One of the features we've included is:

Create timed interactions and conditional triggers using built-in variables that track the total time a learner spends on a slide, a scene, or an entire course.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.