Storyline 360 Quandary: Accessing Separate SL Files Within a Single Main SL File

Mar 22, 2023

I am in the middle of creating a main Storyline 360 file that I am looking to launch 5-6 separate Storyline 360 hands-on simulation files from. The main file is 74 KB (so far, will most likely grow).

One separate simulation file is 81KB and the second one is hitting 87KB (still growing). The individual files have animations and interactivity (so far). 

To prevent the main file from bogging down as it grows (by creating the hands-on simulations as separate scenes within the main file), is it possible to launch a separate hands-on simulation file and display within the same Player screen, all while maintaining SCORM capabilities and then return to the main primary Storyline 360 file?

I am paring down as much as possible, but if I continue build this course as a singular unit, at this rate it will slow the course down to a crawl. Rendering the file to a ZIP, publishing the file, or even viewing the entire project will be time-consuming.

If it is not possible to reach out from the main course to a separate SL file for a hands-on simulation directly (without creating separate scenes in the main file), do you have any recommendations for a workaround? LMS = Adobe Learning Manager.

3 Replies
Phil Mayor

You can create a single course that acts as a container and then bring in published storyline files as a web object. This works best if you have all player controls switched off. You can communicate between the web object and the container using javascript. This will not maintain the scorm capabilities of the web objects, but designing the course well means you can know when they have completed each object.

The other options are to package as a multi-eco but will need a packager (simple scorm packager).

Or to use as separate modules in the LMS, does it support sequencing?

S Chen

Thanks, Phil!

I am not a novice, but not an expert either. I am a really good problem solver and just need a direction to head towards. I will investigate your recommendations and see if that will work for my project. 

Any thoughts on finding a good SCORM packager? Just looking at my options.

Good recommendations!