Storyline 360: Record Screen - Capture Keyboard Strokes

Mar 12, 2021

Does Record Screen capture a person's keyboard strokes, i.e. tab, enter, F2, space bar, etc.?  If it does, please enlighten me. Thank you!

Emerson

3 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Emerson. 

Thank you for reaching out!

The Screen recording will capture most keys (letters, numbers, tab, enter, etc.), and will display the key name in the captions under View Mode

Windows 10 (1) 2021-03-16 at 3.11.53 PM

You have to be careful with function keys (F1, F2, etc.), as it could be browser-dependent if you will switch to Try/Test Mode. There's a conversation here about the use of Javascript to achieve this if you're interested.

Also, please keep in mind that Storyline has shortcuts set up during the recording, so if you plan on using any of those keys during your simulation, you will need to change those shortcuts in the settings.

Windows 10 (1) 2021-03-16 at 3.19.33 PM

Windows 10 (1) 2021-03-16 at 3.02.43 PM 

I hope this helps!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Amy,

The text that you entered will be grouped in one slide, similar to this text screen recording that I did: 

Every text in this slide, which includes upper and lower case letters, were captured during a screen recording. Could you let me know what you mean by you not wanting Storyline 360 to record or separate the key functions? If you have a sample Storyline project file that includes slides which could help explain what you mean, would you be willing to share a copy of it here so I can take a look?