storyline 360 Review Quiz displays incorrect on correct answers

Dec 04, 2017

Very similar to 2-4 year old questions I am getting only the incorrect banner on Review Quiz slides in Storyline 360.  I need to fix this for a client.  Got any advice?  

63 Replies
Casie Dake

Hello,

I'm having this same issue when I preview my not yet published course. It's happening with a new course I've recently created.  I set up a custom drag and drop interaction and the results show as incorrect.  I did check the slide properties to make sure they are set to 'automatically decide'.  The user will not be going back to answer questions.  Can you think of any other reason this may be happening?

Thanks!

Tricia Leggett

Hello,

I am also having the same issue. The participant may retake the M/C quiz up to 5 times, so I had set the slide property revisit option to 'reset to initial state'. Should it be set to automatically decide so the participant can review the results and then go back and retake the quiz?

Thank you for any assistance!

Trish

Maureen Matsumoto

Hi Tricia

I was looking for an article about incorrect feedback during quizzes and stumbled upon this post. Did you ever get an answer to your question?

To solve your problem, set the slide revisit option on all slides to "automatically decide."

Then, create a trigger for the retake button to "reset results."

and another trigger (below it) to jump to the slide or slide draw to restart the quiz.

This will allow a review at the end of the quiz, and reset when they retake it.

Let me know if this doesn't work,

Maureen

Joanna Waligora

I'm having the same issue. It's extremely annoying as it does not appear to follow a pattern. Although some questions seem to run into it more frequently than others, there are times when all are correctly classified during review. 

Scenario: I have a set of questions, picked randomly from a question bank. Mostly multiple choice, with a few select all that apply. Most, but not all questions, have the answer shuffle feature enabled. Upon completing the questions, before submitting, the user can go back and review their answers. When they're happy with what they entered they can submit the answers. The results slide allows them to go back and see which questions they got wrong and which they got right.

Issue: This is where the problem surfaces, following no evident pattern. Sometimes a correct answer (in a selected state), with a green checkmark next to it is accompanied by a red "Incorrect" banner. No matter what my settings are this should NEVER HAPPEN. The green checkmark and the banner are out of sync with each other. Checkmark is correct, banner, and the corresponding sore are wrong.

More about config; All the slides in the bank are set to "resume saved state". Additionally, the Results slide also includes a button that will Reset the results and allow users to re-do the quiz. There are no restrictions on the number of times that a user can do any of these (review before submitting, review after submitting, re-try).  

Edit: I just tried using "decide automatically" and it's still hit and miss. 

Lauren Connelly

Hi Joanna!

I'd love to help! I appreciate you adding these details, and explaining the issue thoroughly. Would you mind also sharing your file so I can dig into why/when this error occurs?

If you're comfortable sharing your project in this discussion, you can do so by using the "Add Attachment" button. If you prefer to share it privately, please use this link. 

Bryan Cannon

I just built my first quiz in SL 360; however, I am having the same issue as the users above.  When I review the quiz it either shows me either the correct or incorrect layer and sometimes it will show me the the question with the correct answer.   What do I need to do to fix this?  

Joanna Waligora

Hi, Bryan. The support case is still open. It's been escalated from first line support to technical support, and demonstrated to be browser and version agnostic. Due to deadlines, I was forced to publish my course without the quiz, but I'm eagerly waiting for a resolution so that the content can be updated for a more complete end-user experience. Troubleshooting has been protracted by the transient nature of the underlying issue. (jwaligora@blackberry.com

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Bryan,

As Joanna mentioned, our team is still investigating the issue that she's running into. 

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Ward Starrs

Hi, I have the same issue as this

"The green checkmark and the banner are out of sync with each other. Checkmark is correct, banner, and the corresponding score are wrong."

My case is #02255866 Do you have a resolution? Our companies engineer certification program is on hold pending a solution to this problem. Your response to our case has not been acceptable!! Your support made no mention that this is a known problem all they said was they can't find a problem so it might be our LMS or a browser issue. 

Joanna Waligora

The last update I received (Apr 17) was that the issue may be tied to the speed at which a user progresses through the slides, as compared to the [slower] processing speed of Storyline triggers. This was flagged for review as a potential bug.

I share your frustration. Although the support persons I've dealt with were very pleasant and professional, it took an inordinate amount of time and effort just to agree that the problem was not unique to our configuration, even though one of the first things I did was outline a list of multiple community posts discussing this exact behaviour. 

Please feel free to reference my case number (02189192) when chatting with your support rep. I would love for this problem to get thoroughly scrutinized, conclusively diagnosed, and promptly addressed. 

Joanna Waligora

Note of caution...I found the issue to be intermittent, even with clicking speed consistent throughout test runs (in as much as a human is capable of it). Hence there may be other factors in play. Also, the marking discrepancies varied from one run to another; my best guess is that it may be related to question and answer shuffle settings.

It's a slippery one. It will take many hours of testing across multiple Storyline quiz instances before I'm convinced that any future solution has fully addressed the problem.

Ren Gomez

Hi Ward,

Thanks for all the additional insight in the case you opened! It looks like we've been able to replicate, and have confirmed it as a software bug:

Rapid or very fast clicking of the Next button while reviewing the quiz slides gives incorrect results once the quiz is submitted.

I'm sorry that I can't say when this issue will be fixed, but you're in the right place to stay updated on this bug's progress.

Joanna Waligora

You can try Adobe Captivate. I don't have much experience with it, but it's a popular and capable tool, though the learning curve tends to be steeper. Their pricing tends to be very reasonable (at least for the solution our organization uses). Nomenclature here is "Question Pools" rather than "Question Banks". You can check out this link for starters.

Bill King

Hi Ren, 

I have been struggling with this same issue the last couple of days, i.e. getting correct/incorrect answers to display properly in review of quizzes. Was wondering if there was an update on this bug, or, if there was any way you could recommend to create a basic SL quiz that works, i.e. no review/no shuffle/just pass-fail and option to retry.