TIP: Controlling the NEXT Button 101

May 13, 2021

It's great to let users explore content on their own. But sometimes you need to ensure they view the full timelines on the slides and complete the interactions. For example, this might be required for compliance/regulatory reasons. 

In other words, sometimes you need to control when the Next button is disabled and enabled. 

The attached file demonstrates how to control the Next button in these situations: 

• Force users to view the full timeline on all slides by using Restricted navigation
  • Force users to complete an interaction by verifying that all of the buttons have been clicked
  • Force users to view the full timelines on the slide layers by verifying that all of the timelines have been completed

The demo also explains how the triggers work.

Nothing new here for advanced users. But I hope newbies find this helpful.

12 Replies
Laura Parenti

Judy,

I can’t thank you enough for putting this information together into a Storyline file and making it available to everyone! I’ve only been working with Storyline for around 9 months and I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot the courses I’ve made (and the ones I didn’t make but I’m now responsible for making sure they work) when learners get stuck when they try to replay or go back to a slide they’ve already seen. I wish I didn’t have to restrict navigation because I know the science behind letting learners explore, but that aspect is out of my hands when it comes to my employer. 

Thank you so much for this, and I feel that you’ve saved me many hours of frustration!

Judy Nollet

Hi, Laura,

Thanks for letting me know that this post was useful. 

FYI: I always recommend bookmarking this link: Articulate Tutorials & User Guides - E-Learning Heroes. The User Guides are a great resource for learning how things work.

And, in case you're interested, these links lead to some webinars I've done:

There are other miscellaneous tips on my Articulate profile page: Judy Nollet - Profiles - E-Learning Heroes (articulate.com)

Best wishes with your Storyline projects!

Glenn Bragazza

Hi Judy,

Some really helpful content there, thanks for sharing!

I'm having a bit of trouble with slide attached. I was hoping you could offer a solution.

I've got 3 buttons, 2 set to disabled until the first has been visited and the subsequent layers seen.
I have a variable that says whether or not the 1st button has been set to T/F based on whether it's visited or not.
And I'm trying to make it so that Button 2's state turns to Normal once one of the 3 'answer' layers have been shown i.e. once the variable changes to True and the final layer in that trigger sequence has been seen and closed.

No matter what I try, it doesn't work properly. I have to go through the layers shown from clicking button 1, then once back on the base layer, have to click Button 1 again for Button 2's state to change. I've tried when the cursor hovers over the page, but that requires the cursor leaving the page and then returning. I've tried quite a few things but no luck!

Hoping you can help!!

Or am I trying to do something I needn't bother trying? Would it be better to cover the whole layer with semi-transparent colour, and just have a trigger saying 'change state of button 2 when button 1 is visited' - omitting variables altogether?

Judy Nollet

Hi, Glenn,

The attached file shows a simplified way to present each character's content, using only 1 layer per character.

The trick? Using states for the Feedback, which is controlled by a text variable. And enabling the next character button is done with a simple trigger on the layer's Close button. 

After the edited slide, I added a slide with some additional notes. 

Since this isn't directly related to the topic of this post, I suggest you start a new discussion if you have additional questions about your interaction. That'll make it easier for others to find in the future when searching. Also, a new post will probably be answered more quickly. (FYI: The Forum doesn't tag people. Someone will only get a notification if they subscribe to a discussion. So even a post's author won't necessarily get notified when a comment is added.)