Forum Discussion

AndrewBlemings-
Community Member
10 months ago

Correcting AI Mispronunciations?

Hi, everyone,

I'm attempting to incorporate Storyline's text-to-speech generation but seem unable to customize pronunciation in the text input.

In particular, whatever service Articulate's using to generate the audio insists on pronouncing "live" with a short I instead of a long.

I've tried "laiv," "lie-v," "laif," "laɪv," and more.

Not having to leave Storyline to get audio at least worthy of a prototype saved me a bunch of time, but if I've spent much of it (and more?) over a single word, then only Murf currently lets me scale my efforts.

I'm going to just use Audition to edit the audio directly because time constraints exist, but is there something I'm missing for future use?

I found one eLH article that acts as a primer, but it doesn't even hint at that functionality.

• Hi, Andrew and Randy!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One enhanced feature we’ve included:

Unlock new possibilities for text-to-speech audio. Use speech synthesis markup language (SSML) to adjust the speaking rate, modify pronunciation, emphasize words, add pauses, and more.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here!

LaurenConnelly
      Staff

Hello Randy!

Would you like us to notify you as well if there are any changes released that impact pronunciation?

AndrewBlemings-
      Community Member

Thank you, Randy! I didn't even think to try Y.

Danielle still pronounced lyve multisyllabically as "lye-ehv," but trying lyve" worked perfectly!

• Hello Andrew!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've had others share the same about pronunciation, specifically when using the word "live."

I'm going to share this with our team and link your comments so that we can notify you if this changes with the neural voices!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us! It's always helpful to receive feedback on what we release.

• Thank you, Lauren, I'm definitely interested in updates to the voices. I appreciate you and the devs.

• Hi, Andrew and Randy!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 83, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One enhanced feature we’ve included:

Unlock new possibilities for text-to-speech audio. Use speech synthesis markup language (SSML) to adjust the speaking rate, modify pronunciation, emphasize words, add pauses, and more.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here!

AndrewBlemings-
      Community Member

I appreciate you connecting back, Kelly, thank you. SSML looks really interesting! I'm excited to see where this leads.