Forum Discussion

CmcMore
Community Member
11 months ago

Does deprecating the 'unload' event in Chrome will impact our SCORM trainings build with Storyline or Rise?

Google has announced deprecating the 'unload' event in Chrome. Are our SCORM trainings concerned about this news, will this impact on our SCORM trainings published with Storyline and Rise?, because Success Factor will end the support on November.

Deprecating the unload event - Chrome for Developers

Support for Browser Unload Event in Chrome Is Deleted | SAP Help Portal

• I've inquired with Articulate and below is their response: 

Hi Maria,

Thanks for contacting Articulate Support!

I understand the concern about Google's announcement regarding the deprecation of the unload event.

Rise 360 and Storyline 360 courses should not be affected for now.

We mainly use the "Commit Strategy" in Rise 360 and save important data to the LMS as soon as it's available, as we never trusted the "unload" event to begin with.

In Storyline 360, we mainly listened to the unload event for AICC in the aicccomm.html file, but it's paired with a beforeunload event which should continue to work.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need anything else.

John Carlo Sipagan
    Customer Support Engineer
    Articulate Support 

• In the first article there is a mention of enable a flag to test this in Chrome 117.
    " The developer trial of the deprecation is available from Chrome 117 with the chrome://flags/#deprecate-unload flag. Enabling this flag make the default to deny access to unload handlers for all pages."

So using that you can test it.

CmcMore
    Community Member

I was concerning about the javascript code inside the documents that are part of the publication we made with Storyline or Rise. Does any of them use the 'unload' event?

ChenJane
    Community Member

Our clients have also raised this issue, so we are also interested in knowing the impact of “Google has announced deprecating the ‘unload’ event in Chrome”. We are wondering if there will be any loss of learning records or any errors in the courses previously published with Storyline3, Storyline 360, Rise, and Studio.

• Keen to hear back from the Rise brains trust/mods to see if there's any issues. We mainly utilise the plain scorm 1.2, with some storyline material added.

morganfroy
    Community Member

So based on an audit, my company is anticipating issues with RISE for SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004. Both came back with probability of 'fail.' Has the Articulate team recently looked into this, and do we have work arounds? The report I got identified inline status, multi object nav status, and new window status. Not too sure what that means, but I do need a 'pass' in those sections. Help is much appreciated, thank you! 

NeelsLal-dd886f
      Community Member

Can you also confirm if there is any impact to Articulate Storyline packaged courses please?

• Hi Neels, 

Thanks for reaching out to confirm the impact for Storyline as well! I want to share that both Rise and Storyline courses should not be affected. If you are running into trouble with your current setup, please feel free to contact our team in a support case so we can assist you further!

Have a great start to your day!