Forum Discussion

chantelneumann
Community Member
3 years ago

Merge Cells in Rise 360 columns

Hi 

Is it possible to Merge Cells in Rise 360 columns?

• Try left clicking the cell, then letting go. Then click and drag the mouse to the next cell while holding down the left mouse button. When you release the button, a window should pop up. Click the box icon in the lower left corner and choose merge.

AnastasiaErm534
      Community Member

Thank you for the detailed steps, David! It worked for me. I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong all the time or if this was fixed only with another UI update. There is no visual indication that two cells are selected.

• Glad it worked! You're right: there's no way of knowing if the cells have been selected until you right click and see the pop-up. The developers must love keeping users in suspense.

Now if only they would give us some options to format tables so we could use them for things like, I don't know, math maybe?

PhilFoss
      Community Member

David, I meant to post this to you, regarding not being able to see the selected cells. Most users see the blue border when selected, the css is coming from the 3rd party editor is a bit odd. I provide a suggested change to the css:

KarlMuller
    Community Member

Hi Chantel,

Yes, it's possible to merge table cells.

Click inside one of the cells that need to be merged.

Drag to select the other cells that need to be merged.

In the table toolbar, select the bottom left icon, and then choose Merge Cells from the drop-down.

• I'm unable to follow this instruction. The second cell won't be selected together with the first one. I try different ways, but I can only select one cell at a time. Even if I want to apply a style or color to the row, I have to select each cell one after another.

I guess this might have been broken with the recent major UI & functionality update. I recall I was able to select multiple cells before it.

• SO GLAD I came across this thread! I thought I wasn't selecting multiple cells but following your steps David, it worked. Talk about frustrating!

DavidMaddocks-f
      Community Member
      Lisa Peterson

SO GLAD I came across this thread! I thought I wasn't selecting multiple cells but following your steps David, it worked. Talk about frustrating!

Lisa, I'm glad it worked for you. I like using Rise more than the desktop-based Lectora programs, but it would be nice to have more control over certain design elements, like tables.

• I'm trying to follow these steps but I can't see the Merge option in the menu. 

I checked CSS and I don't even have table td.fr-selected-cell.

Anyone who could give me a hand with this please?

I dont want to use an image, as it's not compatible with screen readers

Thanks!

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Sandra, 

Happy to help!

You can check out my colleague's response here which contains a nice recording on how to merge cells in Rise 360. I also noticed that highlighting cells in a table and then merging them seems erratic in Rise 360. We'll continue tracking the behavior and report back to our engineering team if needed!

KarlMuller
        Community Member

There is currently no visual state change to indicate which table cells are selected.

KarlMuller
    Community Member

90, 100, 110, 120%: all have the same result - no blue lines.

I have used the same laptop and ultrawide 34" external monitor for 3 years, and in the past I was able to see the blue lines without any problems. Nothing has changed on my side at all. I can still merge cells based on guesswork. 

PhilFoss
      Community Member

Weird, and I should have noted in the video- if you have used border:0 to turn off the gray table cell borders, that will also disable the selected blue border style. Which is another reason an alternate selected cell style should be used by Rise, like the box-shadow property.