Forum Discussion

JeffreyRiley-9e
Community Member
2 years ago

Quizz Answer Shuffling

We need a way to turn off Shuffling especially for quizzes of 50 or more questions. Doing this on a slide by slide basis is very time consuming. 

It would be great to be able to set this at the project level so all questions shuffling can be turned off. I am working on a project with quizzes in multiple languages with the quiz included in all languages. The translations are done but formatting every question and turning off the shuffling takes a lot of time.

• Is it best practice to provide feedback for a final assessment and then shuffle the questions? If so, how do you propose the most efficient way to do this?

• After fixing 60 quiz slides one at a time, I have a new plan, import only into slides with the shuffle already turned off.  I hope that will work.  Another issue is that quiz questions aren't marked A, B, C, D - etc.   I also did that manually.  Seems like a basic part of what a quiz looks like but I can't find a way to do that automatically.  How is everyone else making quizzes without noting the quiz answer option identifier?

JeffreyRiley-9e
      Community Member

Good example Pamela. I was lucky in that the client numbered them in Excel plus I sent them the Articulate spreadsheet format. That was the main reason they did not want the answers to shuffle. I need to test your idea of starting with shuffle turned off. Not at all sure about the questions having a letter or number format.

KenFlieger
    Community Member

Go luck Jeffery, I ask them to add an option to shuffle or not to shuffle years ago when importing a quiz by text or whatever. Nothing like clicking on a hundred slides one at time to turn off shuffle answers.

JeffreyRiley-9e
      Community Member

I agree. My project was 200 slides and not fun. It also makes for an issue of do I charge the client for that or eat the cost? Not fair either way.

• I agree as I said 4 months ago. Making these changes one slide at a time is way too much work. I can't believe that I am the only person with this problem. I needs to be on the feature roadmap.

• Hello Pamela!

Thank you for your feedback! We are tracking this request, so I've added your comments to the report. At this time, it's not on our feature roadmap, but I'll update this discussion if it is added.

• I have the same issue with quizzes.  I like Judy's input.  However, there should be a way to stop shuffling of all slides with minimal input.  

• Thank you for your reply Judy. I did send a feature request yesterday and have the standard reply back. I did say in the request it would be good to not only have a project level change but a way that when importing questions from a spreadsheet that shuffles could be turned off.

It was that large project with 200 questions that drove me to think a change would help. I can't be the only person out here with that size of a project. At any rate, I hope it could change. 

All the best.

• It is easier to adjust question settings as needed when the question slides are added. When I know a course will have a quiz, I use the solution you mentioned:

• Create a "set up" question slide for each type of question (or, at least, the main types).
    • Adjust the question settings on those slides, as desired.
    • Duplicate those slides to create the actual quiz slides. 

FYI: I usually add a "Storage" scene to my .story files. That's where I keep set-up slides for questions and/or other interactions that might be used more than once. (I also use that extra scene to store copies of slides that the client wants deleted--just in case they change their mind later. )

• I remove that scene from the built-in Menu, so no one sees those slides when reviewing the course.
    • Before the "final" publishing of the course, I delete that scene. (That's especially important if you get courses translated.)

I've never needed to change the settings for 50+ questions. But I can see how being able to turn shuffling on or off for multiple questions could be convenient. 

FYI: You can request that feature here: Help Us Improve Our E-Learning Software by Submitting a Feature Request (articulate.com). Submitting a request doesn't mean you'll get what you want. But it doesn't hurt. 

• No Replies. Does that mean no one else has this problem? Does someone have a solution?

One solution I can think of is to create one of each question type, take off shuffling and then duplicate that question and change the content.