Forum Discussion

CatiaCarballo
Community Member
4 months ago

Text Entry - the 'Enter' key submits the interaction

Hi, 

Attached is an activity that we use a lot, reflection questions. To make it more interactive, we want the learners to enter their answer before they can move on to the next section. Where I’m stuck is that if I’m a learner and start typing but click “Enter” to go to the next line so I can continue writing, the "Enter" key automatically submits the interaction and I was never able to enter my whole answer.

Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks! 

Catia

• Hello Catia,

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate you clearly describing the issue and attaching the Storyline project file. It looks like you're using a Freeform text-entry question. 

As expected with this kind of interaction, pressing the Enter key on the keyboard submits your response for evaluation. In other words, pressing the Enter key is the same as clicking the Submit button. To resolve the problem, learners can press Shift+Enter to add line breaks. You can add text instructions in the slide so they know what to expect when using the Enter and Shift+Enter keys.

Another option to consider is replacing the Freeform text-entry question with an Essay question, which behaves differently than other question slides since essays are likely to have multiple paragraphs. Press Enter or Shift+Enter to add a line break (return) in essays. I revised your project file and attached it below. Try testing the Essay question I added in Scene 2.

If you require any further information, please let me know!

• Hi Eric, 

Thank you for your help. This is my first time posting something so I really appreciate the guidance! 

Kindly, Catia

EricSantos
      Staff

No worries, Catia. I'm glad I could help! Please don't hesitate to reach out here in our community for any issues with your Articulate projects. You can also open a support case, where our Support Engineers will work with you one-on-one.

Let me know if the Essay question approach worked for you. I'm happy to assist further as needed. 🙂

• The essay question is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much for your patience. 

EricSantos
      Staff

That's great to hear, Catia! You're most welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day. 🎉