Adding your own character to a RIse scenario

Sep 16, 2019

Is there any way to add your own character to a Rise scenario?  I don't think adding them to a background image will work well since the image it blurred a bit on purpose? I'd appreciate any ideas?

Thank you.

91 Replies
Chris Scott

Is there any update on this? We are doing some work and really need our own characters to go over the background in the scenario. It's really frustrating that we cant just upload an image. Is there even a way of layering over the top? 

I guess the only other option is to design a blurred background with our character already on it and then hide the content character and hope the speech bubbles land in the right place? 

Really frustrating - these licences cost alot of money! 

Renz Sevilla

Hi Chris, there are no plans for custom characters for Scenario blocks at this time.

Alyssa shared a video tutorial above for a workaround for published courses from a fellow community member, Matt.

You can try the workaround from the video for published courses by replacing the characters in the assets folder after they're published.

Mike O'Brien

Thanks Alyssa! Yes we're going to have a go creating some of our own with our models but having better ones in the library would be much easier as having to go into the back end files adds extra time and complexity into the design process. For reference I've added some images of the type of characters we need - young, fresh and fashionable. As you can see nearly all of the current stock characters aren't suitable for us.

Rob Beer

Hi there, add 1 to custom characters.

I've taken a look at Matt's tutorial which is a great Rise hack. I've tested it and it worked fine, this is a bit of a game-changer too as this goes from being a feature I don't want to use to a valuable tool.

My question is can we hack this further? 

In Matt's hack, you create your custom character, take the file names of the prebuilt characters in the scorm, apply them to your lovely custom character, and then put those files in the folder replacing the old images. So, say for example, instead of Rise looking for a .png file, could I create characters as animated .gif and replace them in published scorm? Is there somewhere I can update the scorm code to find the .gif version/files instead of the .png version?