Allowing learners to skip a block in Rise

Dec 01, 2022

Hi all, 

I am fairly new to Rise but I wondered if there was any way to allow learners to skip a block and move onto the next one. 

I want to do this to allow those using screen readers to skip interactive elements that may be difficult to navigate (and provide an accessible alternative below)

I was hoping to use the buttons feature to move to a different point in the course, but it seems this will only allow them to move to a different lesson. 

Any advice on how to do this, or any other workarounds that people use for non-accessible content would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi everyone! I wanted to share one of our newest articles providing rich detail about which blocks are, are mostly, and are not currently accessible and why. I hope it helps with design decisions as you keep accessibility in mind!

To confirm, there isn't a way to skip particular interactive blocks while using a screen reader. It sounds like it would be helpful if buttons could link down to certain blocks within the same lesson. I'll count you in on that feature request and follow up if we make a change that helps!

Elisabeth Huggett

Hi Crystal, 

That article is really useful and please do keep me posted on the buttons feature request. 

Rachael Herridge - I have just been putting really detailed instructions on how to navigate through the activity followed by an accessible text version. Not ideal but probably the best we can do for now.