Any Updates on Considering Auto Play Media in Rise?

Nov 13, 2018

Hi - I was wondering if there were any updates on adding an auto play feature for media in Rise? The learner would have to hit play for audio and/or video in each lesson. It would be more interactive if the media was set to play automatically. 

Thanks! 

48 Replies
Daniel Bolia

I too would like to see the auto play feature added for multimedia files.

For my Rise project that has a video that I want to auto-play, created an SL file with a video. I used the SL block feature and added the published SL to the Rise course.

This solution doesn't work when viewed on smaller screen such as a phone because of the dreaded play button for all SL block.

eLearning Developer

Please add the auto-playback feature!

When taking an e-learning module on a small device, it is even more important that we are able to auto-play audio/video! The "screen space" is already limited, and making a user "swipe/scroll around" for a play button is unfair. 

If we are truly keeping the learner in mind, the path to least resistance should be at the forefront of development.   

Allison LaMotte

Thanks for your feedback everyone! 

We've shied away from auto-playing audio and video because it's really non-standard on mobile devices. In fact, most phone browsers actually prevent auto-play of media; it needs to be user-initiated. 

I appreciate you chiming in with what you'd like to see, since the ideas shared here in E-Learning Heroes contribute to our product roadmap. 

We're monitoring these requests as we consider what features to add to Rise in the future. We'll let you know if we decide to allow autoplay in the future.

Ryan Cook

So are you saying autoplay will not be an option for the creator to select in the settings?

Please add me as a vote for yes ... give the creators the options to autoplay or not. Look at how LinkedIn learning handles their course with audio and text tracking. My typical user is not the best reader which forces us to use Storyline vs rise. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey folks! Thanks so much for sharing your need for audio to play automatically in Rise 360. Here’s an update on our plans for this feature. 

Web browsers are moving towards stricter auto-play policies in order to improve the user experience. We agree that requiring some kind of action from the user, such as clicking a button before playing audio, is the right approach to ensure a unified experience for all learners. To that end, we won’t be adding any auto-play features to Rise 360. However, we are looking at ways we may be able to provide narration features that don’t auto-play.

Jeff Momsen

It is my understanding that the main driver for web-browsers having stricter auto-play policies is to prevent intrusive content from interrupting the user experience, not to prevent included audio within a chosen interaction.

That being said, I think Rise needs auto-play for its audio to stay ahead of the curve as a leading provider. I have full confidence that the development team can come up with a workable solution that still delights both designers and end-users and remain well within the web-browser policies and functionality.

Most web-browsers require some user interaction with the content to indicate to the asset that it is OK to play. It could be as simple as letting a section's trigger also act as the interaction that meets the auto-play policy criteria.

Please don't give up on this improvement.

Stephen Evans

I would add that it would great if Articulate left the question of  'to auto-play or not' to their customers discretion and to please add in the option to turn on or off auto-play.

A lot of courses are being run on private company LMSs and they may want this functionality over and above what is standard on mobile etc.

Robyn Moormeister

I agree the autoplay it is necessary for some courses 

Also when we add the "Continue" button I select the option "Complete All Blocks Above" unfortunately the audio can still be skipped by the user is there a way to make the user listen to the complete audio and not allowing them to forward the audio as we have that option on Storyline.