Articulate Rise: Hiding the Page Title Area

Jun 09, 2017

Hi all,

I would like to hide the page title areas on my Articulate Rise pages. I found this 3 minute video on the web that explains exactly what I want, but he is modifying his HTML and CSS on his local computer. I think some folks will agree that his pages look more streamlined without the title area (for some projects).

http://www.learningdojo.net/articulate-rise-hiding-the-page-title-area/

I understand the basic concepts, but my file structures look different. (I would really be great if there were a feature in settings that allowed me to hide the title areas with a check block:).

Can someone help me out, please.

As always, thanks in advance to all the kind folks who help out.

Jeff

125 Replies
Christopher Policastro

You must have a lot of feedback on this-including mine from long ago. I'm not sure how it isn't a priority?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Policastro, PhD
Manager, Learning Technology
Biologics Learning and Development
Sanofi Corporation | One Research Drive | Westborough, MA 01581
Mobile: 508-683-9616 | Office: 508-871-5003

[Yammer]<https://www.yammer.com/sanofi.com/?show

Allison LaMotte

Hi Christopher,

We receive hundreds of feature requests every week, so prioritizing them is no small task and we take it very seriously. Here's an inside look at how that process works

I understand that it can be frustrating to wait for a feature to come out, but please know that we're doing our very best to bring our users the features they want and need as quickly as possible.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PS On an unrelated note, just thought I'd point out that when you respond directly from your email, your signature is appended to the message. You may want to pop in there and edit out any personal information that you don't want to share with the community.

Tony Willis

I would like to add my voice to this issue.

The title area doesn't offer enough flexibility regarding design.

For example, if we were able to insert a background image and further text, that would increase the flexibility and give people more scope to customise the header.

I would like to remove the header AND replace it with a Text on Image type of block so that it looks more like my image No. 2 attached.

Jen McIntosh

Thanks for the link on how to modify the CSS to remove the header, it was just what we were looking for on a course that consists only of a single video. Looks like the class name has changed a bit since that video the OP posted was made, I just used .page__header (no -container) to hide it. Kind of a pain but seeing as how this thread is a year old, I guess it's not a feature that will be added anytime soon.

Ernst Huber

Hmm, this discussion thread seems to be very influenced by the way courses are developped in slide based tools such as Storyline. For me too it took a moment to adapt to the presentation style introduced by Rise where whitespace and big captions are used to have a modern and light layout. The more options available to change the look the more difficult it gets to have the courses in a uniform appearance which I regard as a big advantage of the rather restrictive individualization possibilities of Rise, especially when working in a team with several instuctional designers. For the applications mentioned in the previous posts, Rise may definitely not be the tool of choice and it would be a pity to further develop Rise so that its clear focus on relatively easy to create responsive courses would be lost.

Cass Netzley

Give Rise content developers the choice though. There's plenty of places to inject style and branding and padding options elsewhere that can easily lead to inconsistency among a team. We have 15+ team licenses and maintain a writing/branding style guide that has an entire page (WordPress) devoted to Rise block options, which template to use, how to treat certain situations-- all in the effort of consistency prior to content reaching a QA stage.

I get what you're espousing Ernst in regard to maintaining ease of use and the responsive nature of Rise at it's core, but this 'ask' is a prevalent inquiry by our end users, instructors, and dev/design teams-- 'how can we negate some of the white space at the top of each section?'

That's usually followed up by an ask of more abilities with the titling at the top of each section (color, banner, etc).

Christopher Policastro

I asked for this a year ago, as did many others. Let's hope it gets addressed soon.
Screen space is precious, so let's allow users to remove all that useless white space.

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Policastro, PhD
Manager, Learning Technology
Biologics Learning and Development
Sanofi Corporation | One Research Drive | Westborough, MA 01581
Mobile: 508-683-9616 | Office: 508-871-5003

[Yammer]<https://www.yammer.com/sanofi.com/?show

Jen McIntosh

I agree with Cass, choice is always better. They already allow options for padding, so it's not that big a stretch and I don't think it will wreck the unifortmity in appearance of Rise.

In my case, the course in question was only one "slide" of video so imagine having to scroll past a giant header just to see that one thing? Annoying. Thankfully I'm comfortable modifying HTML/CSS to fix it, but I know that many eLearning folks are not. Having an option to remove the header would just make things better for everyone.

And to your point about the tool of choice Ernst, the reason why we didn't use something else more suited to that layout is because of the end of flash. All of the other programs we have would somehow involve flash in some way, and there is no reason to develope any new content with it that we'd have to modify later anyway. Rise is the best option for responsive, flash-free courses for us, and it handles video surprisingly well, which in our case is important because many of our pharma clients want courses that are basically just virtual meetings recorded from events they are unable to attend.