Audio next to text block

Aug 11, 2021

We have audio files for text so that people with visual impairments get a better experience that just using a screen reader. We're constantly debating about whether to put the audio before the text or after the text. If it goes before, people are unsure what to do with it, and don't know that they don't also have to read. If it comes after, people don't know it's there until they've already read/used a screen reader. Ideally, the audio would be next to the text. How can I make that happen?

2 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Sarah! There isn't a way to move the audio block to display right next to the text block.

As a workaround, you can use a Tab Block or Accordion block to denote where text should be and where the audio can be played.

That being said, I can see where having available audio next to the text is helpful for accessibility. We're currently tracking requests for the ability to add audio/narration to any text block. I'll reach out here if we make any updates that help!

Cultural Orientation  Resource Exchange

I would still like to see this feature added.  In looking through lots of forum posts, it seems many people have posted this in various explanations over multiple years.  It is necessary to attach the audio file directly to the text it belongs with, in some way or format.  While some blocks allow you to do this (timeline, and labeled graphic for example), the plain paragraph block does not allow the audio to be directly linked.  This seems like it should be an easy feature to implement that many people are interested to use for accessibility purposes.  Yes, a screen reader can be used, but for people who are English learners, they might not know a screen reader could be used.