Can Rise 360 allow users to watch a Video and then enter plain-text answers about the video?

Mar 08, 2024

I work for a very large manufacturing company.   I've been asked to devise a way to post several short videos, (1-2 min) online. Users are meant to watch each video, then complete a short form that contains four, "blanks," about the video they just watched. The point of the exercise is for them to watch the video... notice what the characters in the video are doing incorrectly... write down the timestamp in the video where the 'infraction' occurs, and then write what they would do differently.

Kind of like this...

[WATCH 2:00 VIDEO]

Video Time Stamp: MM:SS
Problem Observed:  
Corrective Action:  
Priority: 1 or 2

I set up a very basic course in Rise. I inserted a lesson that only contains a Video block + a Knowledge Check block with a Fill-in-the-blank question. This does not seem to work, because you can only ask one question at a time, and I'd need to capture Timestamp, Problem, Corrective Action, Priority all at once... and with the video still on the screen so they can refer back to it. 

Is this something that Rise simply cannot do very well? Storyline instead?

7 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Michael,

Happy to help!

Instead of placing knowledge check blocks after your videos which are limited to single-item questions, try adding quizzes that contain multiple questions as an alternative. 

If your main requirement is to also have the video be visible on screen, you'll need to make the course in Storyline 360 instead where you can utilize features such as layers and lightboxes to achieve the desired effect. You can also directly add the video to the question slides in Storyline 360. 

I've attached a sample project file as a reference so you can see how you can add videos to questions in Storyline 360!

Michael Perkins

Hi Jose... 

Thank you very much for your help! 

I would really like to see the .story file you uploaded, however, when I try to open it in Storyline, I receive this message.

I opened the Articulate 360 desktop app and ran the Check for Updates... but it did nothing. It did not say "Up to date" or.. "Install new version." It just... flashed and did nothing. So I guess I am up to date. Any ideas?

Michael Perkins

Thanks Karl...

I did what you suggested and here is the version I have. 

Version 3.51.24979.0

Since you have version 3.85... I can see that I am a few versions behind. Any idea why the "Check for Updates" utility does not do anything?

And... how can I trigger Storyline to update to the most recent version?

Eric Santos

Hello Michael,

I'm happy to chime in! You can follow the steps here, which will effectively install the latest Storyline version on your machine. You may need to reach out to your IT team for help with the installation if you encounter permission issues.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Michael Perkins

Hi Eric...

I tried what you suggested and got this error message. 

I restarted and still get the same message. I understand that Articulate wants my IT team to take care of this. But this isn't as easy as it sounds. If there is ANY WAY at all that I can take care of this issue myself without having to run a .exe file... please... I'd be all ears for tips, tricks, advice. 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Michael,

Storyline 360 is a desktop-based app so you'll need to run the installer to update it. Please reach out to your IT team so they can install the update for you if you don't have permission to run it yourself. You can also find the installer for the latest version here if you'd like to try manually installing the update.