Can Rise courses be edited after they are published?

Nov 07, 2017

*Forgive me if this question has already been asked/answered, but I didn't see it listed in the forum.*

If I publish a web-only Rise course and notice an error (i.e. typo, incorrect information), am I able to edit it without interrupting anyone who could potentially be taking the course? 

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Good question, Andrella!

When you update (overwrite) existing course files in your LMS or web server, learners who previously started the course won't be able to resume where they left off. They'll start over at the first lesson in the updated course.

Let me know if you have more questions about that!

Micah Feazell

Would this wipe out the completions of anyone who had completed the previous version? 

My question arises from the fact that as information is updated I want to be able to update the learning without penalizing those who have already completed the module. I don't want them to have to retake the entire learning just because I updated 1 section for future learners.

Karl Muller

Hi Micah,

What happens to student records when a course is updated depends entirely on the functionality of your specific LMS, and not on the Rise course.

Our LMS gives us two choices when updating an existing course:

1. Update the existing course with no impact on records of students currently taking the course. Students can continue on from where they left off before.
  2. Replace the existing version of the course and treat it as a completely new course.  The records of students that are currently taking the course get reset, and everyone has to retake the course.

So check on what options exist for your LMS. Some LMS's do not have option 1.

UNDERGRADUATE HISTORY

Hi there!

I'm still a bit confused on this front and hoping someone may be able to help!
When I make edits in a version of Rise, they do not automatically update in the version that I published before the edits, so I have to publish another version and then share the new link with those using the course. Is there any way to maintain the same link when you make edits within a Rise course? Our course is used as a guidebook, so we frequently update it as policies change, links are updated, etc., and don't want users to be able to access to a previous version with their old link which has potentially outdated information. 

Thanks!

Karl Muller

Hi,

When you export your Rise course do you publish for LMS or for Web?

The output of the export process is a ZIP file.

When the export process has been completed, you will get an email with a link. That link allows you to download the ZIP file.

Once you have downloaded it, what do you do with the ZIP file?

Karl Muller

It sounds like you are using the SHARE link to provide access to the course.

If that's the case, you don't need to republish your course, as the share link always provides access to the current version of the course. As you make changes, users will immediately see those changes.

Note that the share link never changes unless you copy the course.