Create branching scenario without a character

Dec 13, 2023

Hi E-learning Heroes community,

I want to create a branching scenario in Rise without a character and with custom images at each step. 

The table below shows what I've found in the "scenario" interactive in Rise: 

Pros

Cons

Text

Can hide characters

Can modify background per scene

No branching

Dialogue

Can branch

Can modify background per scene

can't hide characters

My questions are:

• Is there something I'm missing? Can I only branch with a character shown
  • Is there a workaround to hiding characters in Rise when using "dialogue"
  • What's a simple way to use a different image for each step in the scenario?
    • Is it to just create a different scene every time I want to use a different image?
    • Is there a simpler alternative?

Thanks in advance. :) 

Cheers,

Miggy

3 Replies
Judy Nollet

A Scenario block can only have one image per scene. So, yes, you have to create a new scene for each image. 

As you discovered, a Dialog step doesn't include the option to hide the character. However, there is a workaround so the character won't show. 

I once saw Tom Kuhlmann demonstrate how to replace the scenario character with custom characters. The trick is to publish the course, and then replace each character PNG in the assets folder with a custom-character PNG. The new images must use the exact names as the original assets. 

In your case, you could replace every character PNG in the assets with a small, transparent PNG. The program would display the image as part of the Dialog step, but the user would only see the background image. Here's a quick example: 

Note: The initial text at the top will still appear in a speech bubble. I don't know of any way to change that. 

By the way, you can tell Articulate that you'd like the ability to hide the character in Dialog steps. Official feature requests can be submitted here: Help Us Improve Our E-Learning Software by Submitting a Feature Request (articulate.com).

• Submitting a request doesn't guarantee that the feature will be added. But it does ensure that they know about the request. 
Mamie Patterson

THIS! Thanks for surfacing the tip. The inability to ditch the character is the primary reason I avoid using the scenario feature. I'd also love to be able to include links or images in the scenario so that if the user goes down the "wrong" path, I can promote a resource that would help them with the topic. 

Chris Hughes

Thank you, Judy! Your suggestion helped me figure out how to change the character image on the "End Scenario" page.

Often the actors "Neutral" expression looks board or angry compared to smiling and there is no way to change the expression on that default ending in Rise360. I searched and read posts for over an hour and got no where until I happened on this post. I am very grateful!

Before:

After: