Creating a Test Out at the beginning of Rise Course

Apr 22, 2021

Is there a way to offer a quiz at the beginning of the Rise Course that if the employee scores a certain percentage, the course is considered passed/completed?  If the employee does not pass, the course must be completed in its entirety and the quiz is at the end for the employee to retake.

39 Replies
Mikel LaPorte

Adding our comments AGAIN...this feature is desperately needed, especially for modules that must be completed year over year. The ease of use of RISE over Storyline is great, but without this feature, we are stuck creating an initial module in RISE and a repeatable module in Storyline. Not a great use of time or resources.

Heather Vogt

It's wild to me Rise doesn't have a pre-test option. I'd also like to add a +1 to that feature.

In an attempt to workaround this can someone clarify this for me:

"What happens when a learner takes the same quiz multiple times?

When a learner takes a quiz multiple times within the same course attempt, the most recent quiz score is sent to the LMS upon exit. For example, if they pass it, then fail it, then pass it again, only the final pass would be reported. For learners who try to retake a quiz after closing the course, what happens depends on your LMS. Usually, the LMS allows them to retake the quiz only if the course wasn’t completed. If they took the quiz and completed the course, they most likely won’t be able to retake the quiz."

Does this mean the final pass is reported because it's the most recent quiz score or is the final pass reported because it's a passing score? 

Also this:

"My quiz is in a Storyline block. Are details still reported to my LMS?

Quiz details aren't reported for Storyline blocks."

Can I put the quiz in a SL block in Rise and get a pass/fail (but not a score) reported to my LMS?

Steven Benassi

Hi Heather!

Thanks for reaching out!

I've included you in the feature report being tracked for allowing Pretests in Rise 360. We'll update this discussion as soon as we have news to share!

In the meantime, I'd be happy to address your follow-up questions:

1)

• Taking the quiz more than once without leaving the course:
    If one of your learners re-takes a quiz multiple times without leaving the course, the most recent quiz score will be sent to the LMS upon exit. So, they could pass it then fail it, or fail it and then pass it, and Rise 360 will report the more recent result.
  • Leaving the course, and then launching the course again:
    If your learners completed and exited the course, and then chose to relaunch the course, most LMSs will prevent them from changing the completed score. They'll be in "review" mode and their first completion will be final.

2)

• Quiz scores can be tracked by choosing the quiz tracking option when you publish from Storyline to Review 360, and then choosing to track the Rise course by the Storyline block. In that scenario, the quiz score will be sent to the LMS, but question-level details aren't sent to the LMS for Storyline blocks.

If you're comfortable sharing which LMS you are using, perhaps other members of the community using the same one can offer additional insight!

Heather Vogt

Thanks, Steven!

Regarding making test-outs a possibility in Rise can you just offer more options in Quiz Settings:

Maybe something like, "Upon passing..." and allow a couple options that would be capabilities already in Rise - Go to next lesson, submit results and exit to LMS, etc. 

And maybe a "Upon fail..." and allow a couple options that would be capabilities already in Rise - Go to next lesson, submit results and exit to LMS, etc.

Or even just give us a button stack on the quiz results slide to add some flexibility. 

And is there any way you can add another feature request for allowing cut and paste images in comments like this? Having to save and upload them is a pain.

Thanks!

Judy Nollet
Heather Vogt

Kind of an old thread but can you put a quiz at the beginning and the same quiz at the end? The first quiz would have zero retries but the quiz at the end would have unlimited. 

There is a way to include a pretest in Rise. To limit the user to 1 try for the pretest, that would be in a Storyline block. This post has details:

TIP: Build a Rise Course with a Pretest - Rise 360 Discussions - E-Learning Heroes (articulate.com) 

Caveats:

• The course can't use the built-in navigation menu.
  • The program can't tell the LMS if the user passed the pretest or if they went through the content. And it can't tell the LMS the user's score. But it can tell the LMS that the user "completed" the course.

And, yes, it would be a lot easier, with more options and fewer caveats, if Articulate would add pretest functionality to Rise. Besides "+1"ing that here, folks can submit a feature request here: Help Us Improve Our E-Learning Software by Submitting a Feature Request (articulate.com) 

Heather Vogt

Thank you so much for sharing this, Judy! 

Is this the "map" for the project? 

UPDATE: Optional Lesson 5 links back to Lesson 2. 

I'm assuming you have another completion trigger in the Final Completion SL block (Lesson 2) if someone fails the test-out but passes the post-content quiz. Is that correct? 

Also, instead of having users go back to Lesson 2 after passing the post-content quiz in Lesson 4, can you have the lesson following the post-content quiz (lesson 5) be another SL block that completes the course (pretty much a dupe of lesson 2 but with one less click)?

Thanks again! 

Heather Vogt

In addition to the "map" and a couple questions, it looks like users can't go back and forth in the content either, is that right? 

That might be a dealbreaker. Do I think people earnestly read the content in these compliance courses, reviewing and going back and forth? No. But not having Prev and Next buttons is a pretty common UX need.

Am I understanding that correctly? With navigation and Prev/Next buttons turned off, users can't go back and forth?

Judy Nollet

I think your "map" and some of the other questions are answered in the sample Rise-with-pretest course in Review 360. That entire "course" is filled with the details needed to create a similar Rise course with a pretest. The link to the sample is in the post (which I linked to in my previous comment). 

As for having a lesson after "the post-content quiz" with another SL block with a completion trigger: No, that won't work. Rise only lets you track completion of one designated SL block. That's why this method requires steering folks to the same "completion" lesson. 

Yes, the built-in Prev and Next buttons are disabled. That prevents the user from accessing the "completion" lesson before they finish the content lesson(s) if those are required. However, if the required content includes multiple lessons, you could add button stacks to let the user navigate between lessons.