Disable Quiz Results in Rise?

Jan 22, 2018

Is there a way to disable the quiz results in Rise. We love all the question options in Rise, but don't want to score our learners.

59 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Louise.  Currently, learners will still always see their quiz score.  Good news though -- additional knowledge check types are on the horizon.  We'll let you know when they're here!

In the meantime, what if you build out some quiz questions in Storyline and add them via a Storyline block?  Do you need the score reported to you, or to just offer some question exercises for your learners?

Miriam Troy

Hi there. As with Mary and Louise, we would like to use the quiz questions but not have them scored. I understand this can't be done, but was wondering if there was an expected ETA on the new knowledge check types? We are trying to avoid adding Storyline blocks as we find they are too small on the screen when using tablets and especially mobile phones. Many thanks.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Miriam, thanks for adding your voice!

I don't have an ETA on the addition knowledge check question types at this point, but we'll be sure to pass along any updates we receive!

In regards to the size of the Storyline Blocks on tablets and mobile phones, I did want to mention that you can resize them to be much larger on screen. Simply hover over the Storyline block and click the Edit button that appears.

When the sidebar opens, go to the Settings tab, then choose a Storyline Width from the drop-down list: SmallMedium, or Full Width.

Mehkta Waney

Same here! Would love to get an update of when the quiz results can be removed.

I'm currently creating a course in Rise and will be creating so many more in the next few months. The first feedback I got is to remove the quiz results since we only want to use the quiz as a knowledge check/exercise.

In the meantime, is it possible to hide or edit the "passing score" wording (not the %) ? we don't want the learners to get an impression that they may or may not pass.

Martika Cox

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for your question!

Yes, Knowledge Checks can be skipped by learners as long as you haven’t added any continue buttons that require the blocks above to be completed. You can learn more about that here.

In terms of Quizzes, these can be skipped if your lesson navigation is set to free. If you choose restricted navigation, learners will be required to go through and answer all of the quiz questions. You can learn more about that here.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Brittany Anthony

Hi Martika,

Thanks for your help. I have one last quick question.

I’m working with a client who doesn’t have a Rise license. She wanted to know if I could share the Rise presentation with her although she doesn’t have an account. I researched and found out the answer is no. Her main concern is years down the road if I’m unavailable to make edits, and she wants to pass this presentation over to another freelancer, that she has an editable copy. And I know we’re able to export the Rise file, but Rise doesn’t allow you to import it back into Rise. Do you know if there are any workarounds? If she got the free trial, and I shared the Rise presentations with her, once her trial ends, will she still have access to the files? And years down the road, if another freelancer needs to make edits, will she still be able to share the files with the freelance who does have a Rise license?

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this.

Brittany D. Anthony, M.Ed.
Instructional Designer
Online Course Design and Development
USF Innovative Education – Digital Learning
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Ave. NEC 118
Tampa, FL 33620

Daniel Staten

Another use case for not wanting to show Rise quiz scores:

I'm building a branched course and need to use the quiz to submit completion to our LMS. So, I create a multiple response question that acts as a "survey" at the end of the course. The question is comprised of 4 answers with a 25% passing score. This way, the learner can click one or more of the answers and pass the "quiz." I would not want them to see scores because there's no relevant context for them. I really just need this as a way to trigger completion.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Daniel and Whitney,

Thanks for your question, and sorry you’re feeling stuck here.

Right now, there isn’t a way to hide quiz scores from learners. However, we would love to hear more about how these features would improve authoring in Rise for you if you’re up for logging a feature request.

If I can help with anything else please reach out

Allison LaMotte

Hi Brittany,

I definitely understand the concern here.

The good news is that if your client gets a free trial of Rise and you share a copy of the course with her it will remain intact on our servers for at least six months after she cancels her trial.

In addition, anyone who has direct links to the course will still be able to view it on our servers.

Please note that the course you share with her will be a copy and won’t update with any edits you make on your copy.

If collaborating on a course is what you are interested in both you and your client will need to have an Articulate 360 Teams account.

I noticed that your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if you would like by clicking Edit beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Whitney Thurmond

Thanks Allison,

We would like to use the open response feature in several of our courses. We have been able to remove the scoring feature by choosing “Knowledge Check” instead of “Quiz”, which is great, but our learners still see a big X on their screen when their open response doesn’t match a “correct answer” (see first screenshot). We were even able to change the word “incorrect” to “thank you” but in the end had to steer away from this block all together because it still looks as though the learner got it wrong. The solution we went with was to place the question on screen using the Statement block (see second screenshot) and hope the learner takes the time to reflect on it. The better option would be to offer them an opportunity to actually reflect using the knowledge check feature, but without requiring that there is an exact right answer.

We would like for our learners to have the opportunity to reflect on the knowledge they gain and:

* Put it in their own words
* State how they will apply it
* Determine key takeaways

And for those learning activities, we will never be able to capture every possible answer a learner might give and add it to the “Correct answer” list in the Knowledge Check block.

Thank you for the opportunity to give feedback.
Whitney

Emil Heidkamp

Hi - as I'm sure you're aware lack of detailed reporting is probably the one thing preventing RISE from leaving ADAPT and your other rivals in the dust.  We're about to author yet another course that could benefit from collecting ungraded survey response data, and will likely have to implement yet another hack / suboptimal workaround.

Is there *any* hope that an option to, at minimum, suppress/skip the results slide (or present a custom completion message) might arrive in the next month?  Otherwise I'll just have to ask our team if they can hack the output JS like we often are forced to do.

Love your products, but would appreciate a bit more candor and acknowledging the validity of common real-world use cases.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Emil,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry you feel like we're not acknowledging the validity of real-world use cases, that's not our intention. Please know that we take every feature request seriously, however, we receive hundreds of them every week. So as you can imagine, prioritizing them is no small task. Here's an inside look at how that process works

I don't have any update on the ability to skip the results slide, however if you don't need to score your learners you could use the knowledge check blocks instead of a quiz lesson. Hopefully, that can work as a solution for you in the meantime!

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :)