Flow charts in Rise

Dec 03, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to create some courses in Rise and wondered how best to display complicated flowcharts.

If I simply use an image of the flowchart, I'm concerned:

• This will be too small for users to see if they are using a mobile
  • How to add alt text for a complex flowchart image

Anyone got any ideas? At the moment, all we've got is making the image a labelled graphic and adding markers to explain parts of the flowchart.

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies
Helen Dudley

You could try creating it in Storyline and then adding it in using the SL block.

Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

Christopher Santos

Hi Vera,

You can use the Embed block (Multimedia > Embed) to insert a flowchart created from a third-party source.

Below is a screenshot of how this should look like where I created the flowchart in flowchart.fun and embedded it in Rise:

fc

You can explore other online flowchart builders aside from flowchart.fun.  Most will have an option to share the flowchart and provide an embed link.  Others may only provide the link.  In this case, you can use this simple <iframe> code to embed the link in Rise:

<iframe src="flowchart link"></iframe>
Rise 0

I would suggest use Storyline webobject for embedding of what ever local source you might want to use online. For instance you could create flowchart in visio and add to storyline as webobject.
Insert in Rise as storyline block, Remove the player interface and it will seem integrated in rise and you can keep any custom interactions / animations you have created in Storyline.

But i do second, that various flowcharts directly in rise, is +1

Jose Tansengco

Hi Emily, 

Thanks for reaching out!

If the Storyline interaction itself is accessible, it will also be accessible when embedded as a block in Rise 360. This also follows for embedded web content. It will be up to the author of the content or the Storyline interaction to make it accessible, and this should carry over in Rise 360.

Kristine Spackman

In the past, I have used the Labeled Graphic block for flow charts.  I replace the image with the flow chart image and add markers to highlight each stage in the flow. 

Within each marker, I provide an audio and written description of that stage in the flow.  I also include written navigation instructions in the block above the flow chart.

Here's an example of a simple flow chart using the Labeled Graphic block.